50' Benson Flatbed

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by blessedman, May 14, 2015.

1. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    Anyone using one of these. If so how do you like it. As far as I can see the advantage would be obvious, able to haul longer stuff without being over length. Like longer I-beams which seems to be what they were specked for. 50'x102" with 24" king pin setting.
    Disadvantage would be the turning radius. Some places I go barely have room for a 48' with a 30" king pin setting. Of course part of that is my 265" wheelbase truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I bought a 53' Utility, $30,120 with two 60" tool boxes and a dunnage rack. The extra 5 feet has come in handy several times, often they ask for a 53' specifically.

Buddy of mine got a 50' - Wilson, I think. Need to check with him to see if it's come in handy.

I'd be inclined to go the whole 53. mine is a fixed spread, and has a little over swing to watch for, but haven't had trouble with it as yet.

Hurst Thanks this.
  4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Blair, what does your trailer weigh?

5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The only step I have ever used is the 53 Fontaine I have now. I wasnt sure at first. 2 yrs later, I dont think I will ever want to go back to a regular flat if I have a choice. The versatility and options far out weigh the cons of having a 53' step.

With a 43' lower deck there is ample room for most any load. Most segmented freight are either 20' or 40', Pipe, Steel, containers etc. The lower deck is 3'2, so tall loads at 10'4 or even 10'6,.. are really no issue.

The added 5' length comes in handy. The rear axle slides to shorten the king pin to center axle length. Surprisingly,.. Fla is the only state that has ever hassled me over it. $20 annual permit,.. problem solved.

The only reason I can see to go with a 50' step would be to save on weight.

Hurst

6. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    Thanks for the replies. Found a 48' like I wanted in Birmingham.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.