5ek engine with 1lw ecm

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by tayus, Jul 3, 2015.

1. tayus

tayus Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Windsor
    The engine I'm running now is a 5ek but the ecm is off a 1lw.
    It's running fine but has no boost pressure and I'm getting high exhaust temps? Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    There is probley a diffrence in injector size between a 1lw and 5ek; therefore Diffrent Fuel mapping in ecm file.
    Also you need to calibrate the inj timing on the 1lw ecm to make it run correctly on your 5ek

Having said that ,are you sure you don't have any boost leaks anywhere????

4. tayus

tayus Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Windsor
    I've brought it to cat and they told me they can't put 5ek timing into my 1lw ecm. Is it possible to time the motor itself to a 1lw?

And no there's no boost leak

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Bring it someplace else then because your cat shop don't know what there talking about .
    Anytime you switch ecm the new ecm has to have the timing calibrated for the engine it is on.
    Every engine is going to be diffrent .
    The back lash in the gear train and wear, sensors ect ect will be diffrent from engine to engine .

6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I would find the problem quickly before you destroy the motor.
    You can't just swap ecm's around without reprogramming a bunch of stuff

average joe Thanks this.
  7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I'm not saying the timing is 100 % your problem but it is one thing that should be done for it to run right.

I would get it calibrated then get the right file put in the ecm for the serial # of your engine .
    Ideally a pre low nox file from Kurt would be best

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I have a 5EK motor and I bought a ECM from from a 1LW. The first I did was to change the VIN so it matches your 5EK VIN, not that it matters, but I did. Second, I changed the flash file to what I wanted. All this has to be done by someone who has a Cat ET, password generator, and the pre low nox files. Im really surprise Cat didnt do it BUT be glad they didnt cause they would of probably done a low nox file.

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    No, they can not do just timing. You have to do download the the whole flash file program into the ECM which should match the VIN on your motor.

10. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Was talking to my local CAT dealership shop manager a while back and was told that they will only put in to your ECM what CAT corporate will allow. Generally, it's a reflash to original specs or adjustments to allow for CAT approved upgrades. Was told that anything else, you're on your own. Not sure what falls into the "CAT approved upgrades" category. But probably not too much.

11. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
    I have an 1LW in my truck, but I also have a 5EK ECM as spare which works perfectly fine on my motor, the only difference is the mph with the 5EK ECM is way lower on my gauge than the original and I have deleted the water level sensor on the 1LW, that is it, everything works perfect.

a friend of mine has a T600 with a 5Ek and we have swapped ECMs a few times for months at a time both trucks work with no difference from their own ECM.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.