5th wheels

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by AModelCat, Oct 4, 2015.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just wondering what you hot shotters and RV haulers would recommend for a 5th wheel? I'm in the process of chopping down my old Kenworth for towing my personal RV. I still have the old Holland 5th wheel that came on the truck. Just wondering what kind of options a guy would have if I chose to go to a lighter duty 5th wheel instead. Somewhere in the 30k-35k lb range to be more specific.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Might want to consider one of the RV fifth wheel systems that sit on their own air ride system....would reduce shock to the front of your fifth wheel trailers frame.

4. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm still a long way away from that stage at this point. If things go good I'll likely have the truck on the road by next fall at the earliest.

I will definitely look into that suggestion however. RV's aren't very well built so anything a guy can do to make them last longer, the better.

Edit: Wow there are all kinds of air ride hitch setups out there. I'd only ever seen the 4-link style that bolts onto the front of the trailer frame in place of the factory kingpin setup.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  5. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
  6. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's a pretty slick setup. I'm a bit curious as to how well a standard tractor 5th wheel would handle a gooseneck ball adapter or would that be inadvisable?

7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Goosenecks were made for farm/oilfield work. Where the trailer pivots a lot. I dont like them for commercial work. Just change it out for a kingpin.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Look at Trailer saver hitches. http://www.trailersaver.com/product/tslb2h-air-ride-hitch/ I have one and as long as you keep it serviced. It will last, but way to many just spay it and then a few years the pins are trashed. Mine has air bags and the ride is great. Left a strap on my 36ft trailer with king pin hitch on it. After 400 miles it was in the same spot as it was when I left.

9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Does your old KW already have air ride suspension? If it does it can be adjusted to get a softer ride out of it. I use to adjust mine.

That could save you from needing to buy a expensive air ride hitch. You could just run the Holland you currently have.

10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've got a kw 8 bag cutoff I'm going to roll under it in the spring. Should ride better than rubber block anyways.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.