6/21/16 Is the beginning of my Schneider career!!!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Waggledaddy, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Waggledaddy

Waggledaddy Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Tonight I'll make the long 20 minute 3 state journey to my hotel in West Memphis AR. I'll start my orientation tomorrow and finish the rest of the week there. Then I'll head out on the road for a couple of weeks with a trainer. I spent the last 6 months in school getting my CDL A and endorsements. I'm excited and can't wait to start.

There were a couple things that didn't appeal to me about Schneider. In the long run though they gave me a chance and were proactive with recruiting me. My recruiter was wonderful. Always answered my calls or called me back. Same with emails. She really was great. Went above and beyond. I had another post in the newbie forum part about failing my background even though I shouldn't have had anything on it.

I did the regular research about all the companies I was interested in. But after being hired on to Schneider I looked into orientation type stuff on YouTube. Followed some guys that went from where I'm at to 6 months in. They each stressed safety. Exactly how they said Schneider stressed to them. That really is, I guess, the most important part. And in the long run sacrificing some amenities to have that shouldn't be a huge issue. I could care less about heat. I'm an AC guy. I love it cold. So idling restrictions and APUs were something I was looking for. Inverters for a fridge and microwave too. I'll just have to learn to rough it like the old timers I guess lol. Another was bringing my dog.

Anyway, I'm going to try and keep a record of how things are going for me. Thanks in advance for the questions, answers and support!!!

FXgreene, Grijon and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JackMac

JackMac Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Florida
    Good Luck Dude, despite what you hear here and everywhere, driving is a great career as long as you understand the sacrifices and business you are in. Personally I owe everything I have now to the start I got driving a truck 25 years ago.

Good luck

FXgreene, Friend, Puppage and 5 others Thank this.
  4. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Schneider isn't as bad as we make it out to be most times so just learn,learn and learn.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Sometimes when a company gives you a break, and you appreciate it- it turns into a long lasting relationship and great career.

Good luck. Go hard, or go home. :)

Puppage, Concorde, scottlav46 and 6 others Thank this.
  6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    well its no garuantee you'd get one off the bat , but all new trucks since last october( I think) are being ordered with a factory installed 1500 watt inverter. Fridge is doable for sure. microwave may be a stretch without idle.

now your 20 minute 3 state journey suggests you live right below Memphis in Mississippi. Fair bet you'd run that region. Idle would be expected of those drivers. These trucks can turn into a real oven/sauna real quick in the sun.

7. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    Yeah I heard or read that about the inverters. That's a plus. I was expecting to not have it off the bat. I thought I had read 1000w inverters. So 1500w sounds much better. I also read that the trainers have fridges so that have me the insight that they are allowed. Hard to find info about everything going in. I didn't want to bother my recruiter with particulars. Luxuries vs necessities. I love to camp. This is a small step above that lol. So I should be fine.

Yeah I'm in Southaven MS. Traveling 3 states sounds far lol. I'm also doing regional so you're right. The idle thing I wasn't completely sure of. I've seen that is 20°-70° that the truck won't idle more than 4 minutes? If so that is just fine with me. I can survive like that lol.

I was wondering about screens for the windows to keep bugs? Do they make them or do you have to rig up something yourself? Or is it not an issue?

8. mickeyrat

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    screens are a plus. be on the lookout at TA's and Petros for a sale maybe some independents
    price them online for a deal too.

DO NOT purchase from the online store here. SNI makes a profit over and above other retail.

alpha beta and TennMan Thank this.
  9. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    What would you call them truck window screens?

10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    They are call breeze way, it's a company.

http://www.breezewayscreens.com

I had one when I was with sni. Kinda pricey just for a plastic window screen cover

11. mickeyrat

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    can be found cheaper.

I found a sale. 34.95? at a Sapp Bros on 80 in Pa

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Waggledaddy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.