6/21/16 Is the beginning of my Schneider career!!!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Waggledaddy, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Waggledaddy

Waggledaddy Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Interesting morning to start the day. I tried to make 640 miles yesterday. My first half I did 331 in 5.5 hours. 309 should be easy I thought. Welcome to Austin said some construction traffic. Then welcome to San Antonio said some 4:30 after work traffic. Final result 55 miles away. Didn't break 600. One reason why I was pushing was because that was my scheduled fuel stop. I parked with a little over 1/8 a tank. Just a hair outside the red warning area. I'm scared not to idle because of the battery issue. So I choose to idle and if I use too much fuel I'll just pump a dash in the AM. I woke up to it visually in the same place and decide to push all in. I'm a gambler at heart. Every single overpass my heart starts to beat vigorously. But figuring down hill I can Ecoast. But Ecoast I don't. It's not working. Sweet. What I'm noticing with that is a idle/regen thing. I'm just guessing though. If I idle it won't Ecoast for about 50 miles or so. I'm guessing it's clearing out the crud? Back to the heart pounding action. With no Ecoast the fuel economy Guage will tank to zero. I'm not sure if this is true MPG or not but for this case when your low on fuel you certainly hope it's wrong. For example, when you would normally coast and the Guage goes to 15 or above MPG in this case it will tank to 0 MPG and almost act like a very minimal engine brake when the road declines. Like I said, not completely sure it's accurate. It doesn't seem like it would be. But in this case I'm dreading a decline more than an incline in the road. Lol usually the opposite way. Last night I debated whether it would be better for a fuel call roadside to SEM or a jump start at the pilot. I was pretty confident I could make it with no call. But here I am 10 miles away and I'm seriously scanning a safe place to coast to the side of the road with no fuel. But I made it. To the exit that is. .2 miles away. I can see the pumps. But I'm at a red light. And then sure enough the light skips me. I waited for the left and left traffic to go twice before I got the green. From what I see, all I have to do is make this light and a right into the pilot under the overpass. I go. There's another light. But it's green. I can make it. I haven't completely completed my turn yet and it goes yellow. I'm all of 8mph thinking about gunning it. To the right I see border patrol waiting for my green he's about to get. I brake to a stop. Not worth it I think. My luck is I'm unknowingly hauling marijuana disguised as rubber pellets. It's a relay. I have no idea what's inside. (Just a joke printed shirt guy) I finally make it to the aisle. Safe. Almost bone dry of fuel. Picture won't load. I'll post it later.

Attached Files:

Thull and SingingWolf Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Movin On

Movin On Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Today might be a good day to buy a lottery ticket!

Waggledaddy Thanks this.
  4. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    If I ever get out of this line.... talked to a Schneider IC ahead of me. He was turned away yesterday after waiting in line till they closed.
    From here I go 0 miles to drop and hook and then travel 0 miles for another live unload appointment at 1400. Got a full day of sitting ahead of me lol.

5. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    I once ran out of fuel literally midway into turning into the driveway of the truck stop...fortunately the shop let me borrow a 5 gallon can so that I could get enough in the tank to pull up to the pumps.

I don't push it that close anymore. Learn from my mistake :)

Waggledaddy and SingingWolf Thank this.
  6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    yep, I dont play that game anymore. too stressful. played it kinda regular when I was in the daycab, in part cuz sni was basing solutions off of dual tanks. it was a single tank truck. they pay no attention what so ever to fuel level input by a driver.

7. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    If my math is correct based on my week of completed work and my next preassignment and a straight route home after that is completed I'll break 3k miles this week. That'll not include my detection pay at one place and the short pay route on this load. As long as nothing goes wrong I'll be home a day from my TAH request. I just couldn't turn down another 1354 mile load. Pretty sweet. Only problem is working the recap. I'd be able to be home sooner if I was running a fresh clock. I'm not a fan of running short days. I'd rather do 11 as fast as possible and reset. But, I'm not in bad shape. I gain 5 tomorrow with 4 left on 70. Then 8.5 Thursday 11.25 on Friday. Should get close to home Friday night. All depending on what they give me to get back. There's a chance as long as all goes good to get back Friday night but I doubt it. We'll see!!!

milehunter43 Thanks this.
  8. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    Yeah I thought it was a long stretch to run for fuel. It was a little over 1k miles I think. They had me fill up in Effingham IL and next stop was set for Loredo TX. I could have requested a fuel stop last night I guess. They probably would have sent me the same stop though lol.

9. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    I'm just going to leave this here..... Recap sucks. I need a reset.

10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Where's the best place to reset?

11. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Not where I said 1st or maybe where I said not.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    mickeyrat and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.