6 inch stacks on w9

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by sparky88, Feb 7, 2015.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You can get a pair of 9' tall 6" miter cuts from Fleet pride for about $380. The elbows will be another $200 each. The chrome is Chinese but honestly on my stacks the chrome has no imperfections, rust, or flaking which is more than can be said of the chrome plated elbows made for paccar by a supplier in Clinton, TN. Those didn't make it thru the first winter before the chrome flaked, rust, etc. Go to a chrome shop and you will pay double for the same Chinese stacks unless you get name brand American which are overpriced. I think 7" just the pipes with no elbows is $1,200 to $1,500 which is outrageous but typical chrome shop prices.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sparky88

sparky88 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    oswego, ny
    That's not bad. Did you notice the difference when you swapped from 5 inch?

4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I couldn't say. I removed the 5" as soon as I got the truck. They were too short just barely above the sleeper guessing 5' tall. Company required stacks tall enough to blow smoke over the box trailers so it was good enough for me to install 6". As a rule bigger diameter pipes will tone down the loudness. Will give it a deeper tone if you have free flow mufflers or straights. 5" is loud as hell with straights. I've got free flow mufflers but it has such a deep tone. If the idle is bumped to 1,000 on the fuel on the fuel.island and you are inside at the desk you can clearly hear that deep tone inside the building. I like that. Years from now if i ever get one of these new fangled trucks I'm going to miss the sound of a real truck. Maybe i'll just be like the old timers these days driving mechanical 359's, etc and 20 years from now still driving a cool truck because I can.

magoo68 and TGUNKEL Thank this.
  5. sparky88

Jan 22, 2014
    oswego, ny
    Nice. I'll have to figure things out. As of right now I could throw on 6 inch straights that reduce right after the elbow and do a Pittsburgh power muffler or some other free flow muffler under the truck would like to get something done this spring when I get the paint and a few other things cleaned up

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Never a big fan of those larger pipes, but up to you. As far as straight exhaust, I drove a Marmon for a friend that had no mufflers, it was cool for about 20 minutes.( and I know it looks like my old Pete had straight pipes, but it had a muffler underneath) When I got back from a trip to PA. I told him either put mufflers on or I'm done. He had his kid take the next load, who promptly rolled it and totaled the truck. Besides, cops are cracking down on trucks with no mufflers (especially engine brakes), and I believe a heat shield is required in some states.

7. oneperfectrun

oneperfectrun Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    Only difference I noticed with mine is a little deeper tone in the sound.

8. oneperfectrun

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4451544]Never a big fan of those larger pipes, but up to you. As far as straight exhaust, I drove a Marmon for a friend that had no mufflers, it was cool for about 20 minutes.( and I know it looks like my old Pete had straight pipes, but it had a muffler underneath) When I got back from a trip to PA. I told him either put mufflers on or I'm done. He had his kid take the next load, who promptly rolled it and totaled the truck. Besides, cops are cracking down on trucks with no mufflers (especially engine brakes), and I believe a heat shield is required in some states.[/QUOTE]

I cut my factory muffler at a spot where the clamp rides (mine has single muffler under cab/sleeper). Opened it up and welded a 180 elbow in and then welded the muffler back together. Put it back in place with the weld under the clamp. Visually you can't tell it's been done. My truck is actually quieter, under 1500 rpms, in the cab with this done than with the muffler operational. Above 1500'ish the pipes get a good sound and are a little loud but not annoying loud. That's around 72 mph and above. I love the way mine sounds.

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  9. oneperfectrun

Dec 18, 2010
    Fulton, MS
    Muffler under cab or not, the straights just look better on most any truck.

10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    If you want picket elbows, buy a Pete, I don't think they look good on a W9

7" all the way, IMO 6" look to skinny and 8" are just way to much.

11. sparky88

Jan 22, 2014
    oswego, ny
    I like the elbows that are on it now. Guessing just a factory style bend. And as far as a muffler I definitely need one. Landlord lives next door as well as other people we know so I don't want to have neighbors mad. That's why I figured the Pittsburgh muffler or something similar. Wake the truck up a little and not be too obnoxious. Hopefully I hear back soon from grpipes with a quote on 6 and 7 inch sets. Going through other places seems to be expensive and yes I know the pipes aren't cheap regardless but the more I can save the more money for other stuff

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.