6 months - Year Experiance

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Showtime89, May 24, 2016.

1. Showtime89

Showtime89 Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Do most of these companys have to have 6 months experiance or year of experiance for insurance purposes?
    I grew up on a farm got grain haulers and everything but never had a driving job yet so no verifiable exerpiance. I have my class A CDL. I called up progressive to insure myself if I got my own numbers and they acted like it wasn't no problem at all.

Was just curious.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Junkyarddog5958

Junkyarddog5958 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2015
    They will for a price. Progressive you'll need to stay squeaky clean or won't renew you. Obviously that's best anyway. You have own truck and trailer?

4. Showtime89

Feb 25, 2016
    I have a 99 Freightshaker century in the barn we use just couple times a year to haul grain. I thought about signing on with my brother who has his own numbers but he said if I went and did company driver for couple years it would help with our insurance costs. But every where I look needs that year experiance or want to sit u in a team trainer truck OTR. I not looking to being someones bunk buddy so I might just suck it up and figure something out.

As for trailer my brother hauls for direct shipper who has all their own trailers so don't need any atm to haul for them. Only if wanted to haul off board.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    It's depressing the way so many carriers have things set up. Almost everyone local wants a year minimum within the last three. I was doing my own thing for 9 months recently, before that drove a mixer for 3 years. Spotless record. No one will count the mixer time towards pay or experience. And driving one of those is ten times more hazardous than your standard T&T. Only the super powers will go back further than three years, and count all my T&T experience, it's just depressing. Just gotta get - r - done though.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    OP - believe it or not you are talking about two different insurance things. Let me explain.

Most Mega's are self-insured and can set all the rules with respect to insurability and hiring. Now they can hire you and count you prior driving experience, but they won't because they want to get you at a cheaper price. They do not want to pay you any more then the have to.

Smaller companies that buy their insurance often have limits who they can hire based on the insurer and the policy. Some, if not most policies will count any truck driving experience as legitimate for hiring purposes. Others will specify as specific type of truck experience, however most of the time that is at the trucking companies discretion. And if it isn't, it is usually a matter of the company paying more for a policy with more freedom allowed.

It is common that it is easier to get yourself and your company insured then it is to meet some mega-crap companies hiring specifications.

Giuseppe Ventolucci and roadmap65 Thank this.
  7. Showtime89

Feb 25, 2016
    Yup I finding that exact thing. They want "OTR" experiance. I thought I ask to see if i was missing something but must not be. I talked to one decent size company and they said well hauling grain for farmers doesnt count as OTR experiance. You have no road time. I just laughed.

Think its just going to be easier/better to get rig ready to roll and insure myself. Thanks guys for replys

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Since you're going to be an 0/0 then join www.OOIDA.com the business website for the owner-operator.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.