600 CAT, engine flutter.

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Ed Patrick, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Ed Patrick

Ed Patrick Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I have a 600 CAT w/1.3 million, when I shift (usually in the high side) engine will flutter badly, no matter what rpm, this lasts for approximately 5-6 seconds then smooths out, but it's getting worse. Only does this under a heavy load and when it's hot out. When it's cooler at night it does it but not bad. I put new injectors at 1 million,kenworth run an injector test & found nothing wrong. Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Check fuel pressure,fuel lines,tank vents.
    Start with the simple stuff first.
    When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
    Which model cat E-C15-accert?

4. Highwolf89

Highwolf89 Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Yah I would check fuel filters I had to in the beginning of getting my truck change my fuel filters like every 2k miles I was using bad fuel . Didn't know it till a mechanic road with me and told me change fuel filters these cats love there clean fuel filters

5. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    what he said ^^^ fuel pressure test will be my first step if nothing has been done in that million plus miles. lines tend to swell up in side orings tend to get hard and torn and so on.

6. Ed Patrick

Aug 29, 2015

7. Ed Patrick

Aug 29, 2015
    I change the fuel filters and the check valve in the filter housings, no difference. I do get fuel in the same places every week, so I'll switch up on that and check the filters. Thank you.

8. Ed Patrick

Aug 29, 2015

9. Ed Patrick

Aug 29, 2015
    It's a C15, non acert. Kenworth did a fuel pressure check, determined there was a bad fuel line and changed it. It done good for about a week (2500 miles), then started fluttering again. They ran another check and also an injector cut out test, come up with nothing.

10. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    if you found one bad line I willin to bet they all are going south. if it was coming apart you could have debri jammed in the system some where restricting the fuel. some times you will get lucky and all debri will pass through and jam up in the check valve. simple fix just replace check valve. you will know when you pull it out and if you see little bits of black pcs of rubber in the orifices of the check valve.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. Ed Patrick

Aug 29, 2015
    Thank you, I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.