7/70 8/80 rule

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Elfjr, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Elfjr

Elfjr Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2016
    My company runs local staying within the 100 air mile rule so no logs are ran. Lately they've had us running more then seven or eight days straight (12 for me) working anywhere from 8 to 10 hours a day. We don't hit the 70/80 hours in those days but being that we have our CDL can we run past our 7/8 days without having the 34 hour restart? I am under the impression that a 34 hour restart is needed. Any advice or direct references to a written rule would be extremely helpful.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Heres a good place to start for local drivers. The rules are 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days for interstate drivers. Way back in the 80s when I was running local, we didn't pay any attention to the 7/60 or 8/70. We just run what we run then went home course I'm sure its changed since then for local driving?

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/part/395

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    60 hrs/7 days or 70 hrs/ 8 days for interstate drivers. Intrastate can work 12 hrs daily. Without a day off. Forget 34 hr re-start if driving locally. Forget mileage limitation if driving locally. Just drive !

Rubberduckin and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^^ Even though one is out of the 100 mile radius, and running paper logs? Work or DRIVE 12 hours daily? Just curious. Been 12 years since I had to go to 'mandatory' re-schooling. Thanks!~

6. BigPerm

BigPerm Medium Load Member

And Calif has "seasonal" exemption during harvest time.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    100 air-mile radius exception allows you to not log so long as specific conditions are met...one of those being your employer maintains a record of your hours worked. You are STILL subject to the HOS (albeit difficult to enforce on the side of the road). While the company may get away with running you every day for weeks on end for a while, eventually they'll be audited and any driving in excess of 70 hours in 8 days for a 7 day per week operation will be a violation.

The only thing intra- vs. inter- state has to do with any of this is that interstate operations are subject to FMCSA regs, whereas intrastate operations are not, and some states have more lenient HOS allowances for intrastate operations. The 100 air-mile radius exception is FMCSA, so all this crap about "you can't cross state lines" is pure garbage. Cross all the state lines you want, just don't leave the 100 air-mile radius or work past the 12th hour. Start & stop at the same place every day, and make sure your employer keeps a record of your hours worked.

8. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^^ Thank you so much for that clarification. I'm still on paper, in Ohio, and still run the legal HOS as if I were OTR. I'm way out of the 100 mile radii.
    Minus sleeper and the 8/2 split, of course; still take my 30 per se. Sometimes dispo gets a little miffed; better them than me. Thank you SO much for clarifying; I need a refresher course.
    Seriously, thank you.

9. coueshunter

coueshunter Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    This is completely false!

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Okay, Black and Coues, reiterate?!? I hit Illinois a day a week, so I don't qualify. But...if I did? My wife keeps me on the 80/7 or the 70/6 and makes sure i get my 34 but...... what am I missing? If I didn't go to Chicago once a week, would that apply to me?!~? SHEESH... time for me to study again, or just depend on her CDLP smarts.

11. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.