72 Hour DOT CHECK

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Arkansas, May 30, 2015.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

I even removed my standby 7" RM GPS from my windshield mount just for them. Now if they just don't find that 3/32" drive tire tread depth and start looking more closely...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

You can bet on seeing red and blue in your mirrors in Michigan, Indiana, and probably Illinois if the coops are closed. Michigan has so many in-road sensors and they're all computer-connected to the MSP commercial vehicle cars. They'll be a-lookin'!

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The sensors are everywhere, and one of the first things they redo after resurfacing an arterial main road. These only pickup axle weights,and calculate gross weights, but we don't have that many centipede trucks in IA, not like MI and northern IN.

NE is hard on trucks from IA and IA is rough on those from NE.

5. DenaliDad

I was stopped one night when I worked for a regional carrier driving an old Columbia because the sensors weighed me in at 120,000 lbs. I told the officer that if I had that much weight on, the truck wouldn't even move. It didn't sway his opinion and I spent an hour of my time at a special place he led me to. The last thing he said before he left is, "I guess the computer needs to be reset."

Ya think? I was light at 71,000 lbs.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  6. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    IL, MI, IN, WI has started early. Those cats are on fire with roadside inspections. Cant imagine how much worse they will be when the 72 hour hits. Yikes.

7. DenaliDad

I'm in Iowa now waiting for a load from The Weekenders. Hopefully, it won't be in that direction just yet...

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Good luck with it. Hopefully they tag someone else when you are in the vicinity.

I'm pretty lucky that way unless someone decides they need to check the papers. We just got a new one to put in the book with cargo insurance listed on it. If they have decided to check a truck from the specific company you are driving for, you can be assured the odds just got worse for you. IL is making contact now like they haven't for a very long time, and they know the dodges around the scales. I expect to see more of the seldom used ones open at times.

Western Express bought out SMX from Fort Dodge,IA quite a while ago. I had considered Smithway(the S from SMX), but I'm not wanting to do flatbed that badly anymore.

9. DenaliDad

And the major problem is the name on the side of my truck in big black letters. I'm pretty sure with our CSA scores, it will be like a DOT eyeball magnet. Fortunate, I'm a compliant driver, so I'm not that worried about my part of it. The truck is relatively young (just over 260,000 miles) so I'm not so worried about that, either.

But there is that one drive tire that's right at 3/32 tread depth. As a former FAA supervisory safety inspector, I know that finding one borderline item can lead the inspector to take a closer look at the rest of the machine; no mechanical beast is totally without problems, especially when there is a major inspection effort underway.

We will see, I guess.

10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Denalidad Roadcheck is random to help them get a idea of where the industry is at safety wise .. You might pass 20 coops and never enter or get inspected at 3 straight .. Computer decides not officer .. IMO if they want a true indication of where we are at safety wise DONT announce roadcheck just do it .. Hard to catch the bad boys if they are on vacation lol

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Wisconsin- watch out at the large nice rest areas ... Any time of day or night ... Saw one parked there at 4 am last Wednesday ... Just quietly watching the trucks and cruising behind/around the trucks looking for a target ...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.