94 International speedo/tach not working

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by kev2809, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Speedo will be a direct input into the Detroit ECM and the ECM will broadcast the speed signal through the datalink to the cluster. What is the actual year of your truck? They did not make 9200i in 1994.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goyomtz

Goyomtz Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Called the dealer with the vin and told me that it was a 9200 build on april 94, even told me that it had a series 60 and a spicer transmission, but they didnt want to sell me the cab diagram, so basicly im gonna have to install another speedometer that would read straight from the tail sensor?

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The ECM should automatically broadcast the speed through the data link. So either the speedo gauge itself doesn't work, or the speedo wiring to the ECM is not hooked up properly. Speedo wiring to the ECM should be in pins E2 and E3 of the OEM connector. Polarity of the wires doesn't matter. As for testing the speedo gauge, you can remove the cluster and partially disassemble it and switch the tach and speedo gauges. They worked exactly the same, just have a different decal on them.

5. Goyomtz

Goyomtz Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Understood, but E2 and E3 are for s60, i have a n14 in the frame, and ecm doesnt comes out with signals (ecm pins are blocked) to the cluster. for the rpms i hooked 12v to the flywheel housing sensor then the return signal from the same sensor to the rpms gauge 2 pin connector and it worked, but the speedo gauge has 4 pins, but if i disconnect it the rpms stop working, the ecm its reading mph as per diagnostic tool, just need a way to transfer that readings to the cluster, kind of frustrated though

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Oh, sorry, yes you did say you switched to a N14. I think you have the mechanical gauges, not electronic ones, sorry. I think 1995 was a change over year to updated dash. Anything older than 99 is on paper copy only, not online. We don't even carry books for those anymore, LOL! Ok, never put 12v to a speed sensor. It doesn't need power because it induces a signal. That pink wire is ignition power supply to the cluster module. This is why the tach quits when you unplug it. If your speedo isn't working, check the speed sensor for proper resistance, about 1200 ohms. If that is good, try running new wires up to the dash as I suspect one is broken somewhere.

7. Goyomtz

Goyomtz Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2016
    No wonder i couldnt find anything online haha, should i just share reference from the tail sensor to the rpms sensor so i keep reading rpms and get rid of the 12v? Im gonna switch tail sensors the one i have its a single plug, to the one that have 2 connectors one for the ecm and use the left one to run wires to the speedo gauge?

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Do not wire anything together between the rpm and vehicle speed. They each need their own separate circuits. Yes, get rid of the 12v to the speedo sensor. As for the dual lead sensors, it is up to you what you want to have. If you plan to have cruise control, then you need one lead to the ECM and the second to the speedo gauge. If you don't want or need cruise control then you only need one lead to the speedo gauge.

clausland Thanks this.
  9. Goyomtz

Goyomtz Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Sounds perfect, im glad i could address this issue with someone who really knows whats hes doing, dealers and local shops kept looking at me like if i had a third eye haha, thanks man i really appreciate your help

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No problem, glad to help out! Let me know if it works ok or not!

11. bwinters149

bwinters149 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2017
    I could use some help on this issue if someone is willing.
    1992 International 9400.
    Gauges will peg out and back when key is turned on. Tachometer works but speedo does not. It has four wire speed sensor and the cruise works so I assume the speed sensor is still good?

Also, I pulled gauges out to check for loose or disconnected wires, and after messing around behind the dash, engine will not shut off when key is turned off.

Thanks for the Help!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.