'96 Kenworth w/ Series 60 Detroit

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by MobileHomie, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MobileHomie

MobileHomie Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2015
    I have a '96 KW with the series 60, 450 hp. Only had it a couple of months and the truck doesn't get driven much. I left the CB on and drained the batteries. When I put jumper cables on it (I should mention that I crossed the cables the first time...) I see the dash lights are on, I check every switch and cannot turn them off, finally I pulled the breaker from the panel. While on the jumper cables (batteries only 3 ~ 4 months old) I turned the key on, the overhead idiot lights all came on, then some went out, as usual, "air" and "oil" lights stayed lit as usual, however the "engine fan" light stayed on as well. Engine cranked over strong but would not start.

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance Drivers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    CK. the ECM. fuse in batt. box its a small fuse inside a single holder and in dash fuse box to find the fuse that poped?

4. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    On this model KW with Detroit, the ecm fuses are located behind the small panel above the clutch pedal. When you drop the panel you will see 2 in line fuse holders with stickers on the wires that say "ecm" on them.If you have ever had to change your flasher you would have had to drop same panel.

5. MobileHomie

Jul 23, 2015
    QUALITYTRUCK, You nailed it! Thanks man, I had a mechanic look at it yesterday and said to order an ECM...
    Little 15 amp fuse WOW...

6. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    You are welcome. KW's with a DD60 are the only trucks that put the ECM fuses in this spot. All other engine/model year combos have the fuses in battery box.

7. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I have a '93 W9. The fuses for the ecm are in the battery box. Believe me. I know.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Good catch. Always be a bit wary when a guy tells you your ecm is shot. They are much more durable than what people think and it's often the wiring and sensors to the magic box that fail. In 8 years of wrench pulling I've only seen 2 failed ecms.

9. lurch379

lurch379 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Here is a horror story for you. I had a 98' KW. I was going through the gorge in NC on I 40 and the truck just died. Called a wrecker and was going to have it towed to kenworth in hickory. The wrecker driver said there was an excellent Detroit man in the shop at the pilot. Went there and he replaced cam and crank sensors. No luck he then said I needed a fuel pump. I had asked if the ecm had power and he assured me it did so the fuel pump went on. No luck. He then told me it had to be the ecm. Ordered one from Washington state had it overnighted to my kenworth dealer in hickory and had a courier drive it up. And you guessed it. No luck so I told him to button it up and call the wrecker to take it to hickory. Wouldn't you know it he found the problem 15 min later. The main power lead to the ecm had blown a fuse. Total of 3700.00$ spent on a .35$ fuse

Thank you Danny's towing and road service. My kids don't need to eat

bigguns Thanks this.
  10. Stubby T Slapnutt

Stubby T Slapnutt Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2012
    I'm guessing from your handle, you drag shacks for a living?

11. MobileHomie

Jul 23, 2015
    Used to, I run the dealership for my dad now. But I am the only one left with a CDL so I get to take display homes out and bring trade-ins back. I don't do the factory hauls anymore...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.