96 Pete 3406e no cruise no jakes

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Kurt schaneman, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Kurt schaneman

Kurt schaneman Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Hello all...I have a 96 Pete with the 3406e. I was driving down the road and the cruise started to kick off, until it finally just stopped working all together...then the jakes did the same thing...so I checked brake switches and clutch switch and all were working (yes is used multi meter) I found that I have no power go the clutch switch but I was opening and closing...so I decided to pull the plug out of the ecm where the wire goes into...I think the pin was messed up in the plug so I messed with it a little and was going to boom it back up but now I can't get the plug back in? So I have 2 questions #1 if this doesn't fix my problem where else do I go? Next how the heck do you get the plug back in the ecm? There is no bolt in the middle of it to tighten down...but I can't get the pins lined up to hook back up? Any tricks? Sorry for the long post

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    i assume this is a 40 pin ecm since it is a 96. there should be a bolt on back side of plug that will pull the plug in as you tighten it down. don't force the plug in by hand because the bolt will not let it until you start screwing the bolt in (ie hexnut screw).

4. Kurt schaneman

Aug 28, 2015
    Thank you! I actually pulled apart the wrong part and had a hell of a time getting it back in...however I got it all put back together...and still have no power to the clutch switch...does that mean the ecm is bad?

Superhauler Thanks this.
  5. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    could the switch be bad? or is there no power in the wire?

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm not super familiar with the electronic Cats but is it possible you were checking the ground wire and not the supply wire? I would assume based on experience that there would be a signal out wire from ecm and signal return to ecm but I could be wrong. Did you test your jake and cruise control switches?

7. Kurt schaneman

Aug 28, 2015
    I checked the switch and its working...but yes I have no power in the wire at all...I checked the power out of the ecm

8. Kurt schaneman

Aug 28, 2015
    Yes your right...I tested both wires and nothing out of either...and yes I tested both switches

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Did you test the pins on the ecm with the plug removed from the ecm or did you back-probe the harness plug while it was plugged in to the ecm?

10. Kurt schaneman

Aug 28, 2015
    I tested the one where the switch goes to and I got nothing...but I wasn't sure if that would work

11. Kurt schaneman

Aug 28, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.