98-02 Volvos, build quality and other questions

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by kogaFX, Oct 12, 2015.

1. kogaFX

kogaFX Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Frozen Lease Road, ND
    A lot of people I hang around with tell me these Volvos have very poor build quality and will fall apart like a Freightliner Century but none of them said they have actually driven these trucks theirselves.... lol.

So I was hoping to get opinions from guys who actually drive and own these trucks!

Is the insulation pretty good? Is it pretty quiet? Does the interior fall apart like these bozos claim or is it pretty solidly built?

Are the headlights from these years built just for the Volvo Trucks or are these sourced from one of their cars?

Is it easy for mechanics to work on with either the Detroit S60 or Cummins N14?

Thanks and I appreciate any input or info anyone can give!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I have a 2000 Volvo VNM daycab with the Volvo D12 motor, over 1.7 million miles on it and still pretty quiet inside. I have had some issues with frame rot, had to have my frame rail plated where the torsion bar connects from the drive axle, otherwise it is a good truck. Check the frame near the exhaust stack mount, they are known to rot there. I have replaced the steering box twice. My interior is still in great shape, seats are original, no rattles but the headliner did come loose and had to be replaced with new clips. The only other problem has been water intrusion around the windshield on the driver side, had the glass shop look at it many times, can't really find where it is coming from.

I can't help you with the Cummins or Detroit motors and don't know about the headlights, I think the lenses are truck specific, the bulb is a 9007 halogen.

kogaFX Thanks this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have two with n14, nice, tight and quiet like cars

kogaFX and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I have a '98 610 with a M11 Cummins. No interior rattles, everything still works. Had the windshield replace due to a crack and it took them twice to get it sealed properly. They are like most of the other makes. Everybody uses Cummins, Detriot, Cat, Eaton, Rockwell, Bendix, etc. Volvo engines are good engines, tested and used in Europe before being introduced here. Our cab is decently insulated, rubber mat and carpet on the floor, standard upholstery everywhere else.

kogaFX Thanks this.
  6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    '01 770 with 1.7 million. The only major work done on the engine is main bearings. Original trans (13 spd) and rears.
    Inside is all original, rubber mat and I just purchased a carpet kit from Amazon. I did replace a few hinges that were broken on my tall cabinet.
    I might have a little OCD, because whenever something breaks or doesn't work the way that it should, I either get it fixed or replaced.

Still looks good and still rides good for a 15 yr old vehicle.

kogaFX, brian991219 and boneebone Thank this.
  7. mp4694330

mp4694330 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Chicagoland
    kogaFX Thanks this.
  8. Crazy Alex

Crazy Alex Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Here n there
    12168277_10208062022295312_1536547000_o.jpg

Love my 770…quiet,solid,roomy

9. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I have a 2001 VNL770 N14 with 13sp and 890k original miles. I also have no issues with the motor or truck. The engine has never been opened up and I only had to replace 1 injector last year. It still has the original Norcold Fridge, National heated seats and interior and anything that breaks, I replace it or fix it myself.

I still get questions and compliments on how nice it looks and how well taken care it is.

They really are amazed when I tell them it's a 14 year old truck.

That truck makes me money, hand over fist.

It will outlast any newer model truck hands down.

valerchekk and kogaFX Thank this.
  10. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Roomy is an understatement! Jesus that is massive!!!

Crazy Alex Thanks this.
  11. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Same had a 770 with a n14 cummins with 1.7 million original miles and a rebuilt transmission. It ran Sacramento to Denver twice a week for 5 years pulling all of the hills from donner to sisters to parleys summit. It was indestructible and for its age I can tell you compared to a freightliner to it is like comparing a cascadia to a century as far as the road noise deadening and being comfortable in general.

kogaFX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.