98 4964fx blinker output low voltage

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by Derek Leo, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Derek Leo

Derek Leo Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2015
    I changed my directionals to LED, and they wont flash because the ecc is only putting out around 7v to the blinker switch. If I hook up a regular 1157 bulb to the line, it will flash, but the output is still around 7v. any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    Lol isn't this the age old incandescent to led problem

4. Derek Leo

Derek Leo Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2015
    I thought the same thing, and installed a regular light back in line. the power to the blinker wire is still 7v, and the leds wont flash with only 7v. I have traced the power all the way back to the box behind the dash, and there is 12v in and only 7v out.

5. Cetane+

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    So do the incandescent flash? If they do you're going to have to leave one incandescent in the system to make it work. That's how I had to do mine

6. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    What is this "box behind the dash" that you speak of? Is it a relay? A control module? The fuse block?

7. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Probably just low on fluid.

Kidding aside sounds like you have the old style hd flasher. It may be as simple as unplugging it and plugging in a new style flasher. When you you see the difference between the two you may ask is this right? There is a big difference between them.

8. Derek Leo

Derek Leo Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2015
    the flasher is inside the box behind the dash, which is the electronic control center. It does not have an external flasher. I have a few trucks that I have changed the flasher to an LED flasher and it cures the problem.I eliminated all the LEDs, hooked up old style lights, and the flasher is still only putting out 6-7v.

9. Cetane+

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    So volts aside, it still flashes? The volts are confusing you. The ECC does not work the way you think. The ECC designed in 1996 cannot work with LED lights. I told you the answer that's the best you can get. Or you can try buying 4 or 5 brand new EEC's and see where your money goes.

10. RandyLAROSE

RandyLAROSE Bobtail Member

May 15, 2015
    I had the same problem do what the one guy suggested wire in an incandescent light and hide it somewhere problem solved that is what I did and hide it in the light bar ...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.