98 star car hendrickson air ride, rides really rough still after suspension rebuild, help!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 98 star car, Oct 7, 2015.

1. 98 star car

98 star car Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    98 4964 ex has always rode very rough. Just had the front end rebuilt, springs, bushings, ect. Rear end has new torque rods put in. The bushings on the dogs bones I was told were ok. New slipper pads were installed as wel in the z leaf shackle boxes. Ride height is ok per freightliner. Truck can't soak up an expansion joint on the front or rear. Violent feel and hard hitting. Feel it in the wheel and seat still. Shocks are gas and was also told they were ok. When I did change them not much difference. What is the problem??? I had new hood hinges and pins installed, hood adjusted and it still shimmies going down the road.
    Any help would be great. I like this truck it runs great, however it's beating me to death!!!!!
    Another thought, how much slack should the 5th wheel have on the slider? I can take a bar under the each side and lift the left 1/4 inch. The right 3/8 to 1/2 inch. The trailer seems to roll left and right on the 5th wheel. Keep in mind new 5th wheel installed 4 months ago.

Help

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    I would double check all your air bags in a heart beat. Then check driveline angles and go from there. The 5th wheel shouldn't have any lift, so I'd do a rebuild unless you already did it. There are bushings that eventually wear out, causing the lift. As long as the jaws are adjusted then the king pin from the trailer might be worn.

4. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Fifth wheel is new. It lifts on the slider. Jaws are adjusted. Driveline angles are good as well. All air bags are inflated. Shocks are the only things not replaced yet.

5. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Kingpins on trailers wear out. A worn out trailer kingpin in a brand new, perfectly adjusted 5th wheel is going to bang around in there.

There are 2 cab bags and 2 cab shocks. I'd change them out and inspect motor and tranny mounts and bushings.

ThatPartsChick Thanks this.
  6. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Truck was literally just fully relished tip to tail. Supposedly they checked the mounts. I will have them re looked at asap.

7. icsheeple

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    My best advice is don't get all replace happy until you nail it down. If the bags aren't dry rotten and leaking, then leave em.

Have you driven the same year and model of someone else's to determine its not just a rough rider? Some trucks ride rough.

8. icsheeple

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    You don't have your location in your profile. If your in Indiana then nothing is going to fix your ride quality.

ThatPartsChick Thanks this.
  9. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Lol, your are right on both counts, especially the roads. Specifically i70 east of Indy to the line.
    Truck is just under 1.5 million. Full rebush and springs had never been done. The bags are not leaking. I replaced one only when it did start to leak.
    No one else has a star car.
    However I'm convinced one person's version of what a good ride is varies from another.
    Coming south to Alabama on 65, things definitely smooth out.
    All driveline components except for the slip shaft are new as well. Yokes, carrier, u joints.

10. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Cab shocks are 1.5 years old. Cab bags replaced at the same time.
    I really appreciate everyone and their input and get back to you.
    Thanks

11. icsheeple

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    If your getting a hop in the front end vibrating the hood you can try the tru balance stud sleeves. They make them for the drives too if you want to try them. I wouldn't see that as money wasted.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.