a/c problems

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by devono47, Jun 23, 2015.

1. lciambotti1

lciambotti1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Thanks guys. I'll rip it out this week and report back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Before you start tearing stuff apart , the 09 Prostar had problems with the control head which selects the heat ac vent mode that you manipulate from inside the truck .

As with all sudden onset electrical problems in a Prostar disconnect the main positive cable with the tallest nut at the batteries and wait 15 minutes before you reconnect . This reboots the body control module that everything works through and is too often the root of all evil .
    Frank

4. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    Ok. I'll do that first.
    Thanks

5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Lol....Sort of like calling your internet provider at home and they tell you to shut your laptop off and let it rest then boot it back up. Ha ha ha ha

A21CAV Thanks this.
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    He has 07 9400 and his question should be starting a new thread to avoid confusion. 9000 series is regular wiring, relays and resister block. High speed is 12 volts direct though totally different relays and fuses than the medium and low speeds. If you have no high speed, but the others are ok, something is wrong with the high speed relay, breaker or related circuits. Fan and resistor block are fine. If you only have high speed chances are the resister block is blown, fan is fine. If you have no speeds at all, usually the blower motor(fan) has failed.

RustyBolt Thanks this.
  7. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    Right now I have no speeds. Thankfully the bunk fan still works or I'd be cooking.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  8. Maksim Baranyuk

Maksim Baranyuk Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2015
    The Heater In My Cab Stopped Working And its leaking,
    Whats The best Way To Fix It

9. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Agree with RustyBolt. I had a similar problem with an International. I could keep a hammer in the cab, and reach over and tap the fan under the passenger seat and the fan would start running. My fan was all gunked up with dirt and grease.

10. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Replace the heater core to stop leaking. Unless you can see where it is leaking AND get to it. Then you might be able to solder it. Never tried it though.

As for the fan issue. Check fuses. Fuses good? Get to the fan. Turn fan switch on dash to on with the key on and check for power at the fan. Got power? Replace the motor and the resistor. No power? Then it's either your control box on the dash or you have bad wiring somewhere.

In the International 9200 and 9400 trucks the fan climate control box is made very cheap and costs a lot to replace. They go bad fairly often and just about any used one you find for sale will have the same issues. But the typical problem with the heat/cooling is the fan and/or the resistor. The fans are at floor level and draw in dirt and dust and whatever else through the venting on the side of the housing. When mine went, it was just like what @Getsinyourblood described.

11. Maksim Baranyuk

Maksim Baranyuk Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2015
    OK thanks For that. got it fixed.
    now my a/c blower wont work in the front. i took it out tested it. its works fine. put it back on the truck and it works. then it just stops working randomly

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.