A dirty friend

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ZhenyaP1991, Feb 4, 2016.

1. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I need a suggestion here people. So, I've been driving for a year and some. I v manage to save up 20k since I live with my parents. This year I am planning to buy KW w900l, my dream truck really. And still drive for Walmart dedicated. My thing is I want my best friend with me and keep rolling that truck 24/7. The thing is he is dirty likes to smoke green and has owi and a theft. But he is not a bad guy just got mixed with wrong people. He doesn't have CDL, I'd like to pay for his education. He says sure . I don't know. I d like like to know if it will be worth it for me. If anyone with the same experience would help me out, that would be awesome. He is a good guy, just little depressed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

If this was a random post and you read it, being on the other side, what would you tell the OP?

I have "friends" that do "stuff". What they don't do is drive a truck, receive advice from me to drive a truck or watch my dog while I'm on vacation. If he cleans up and stay clean for a couple years, have at it. Right now though. Don't be the nice guy.

4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Good guy or not, you have no control over what he does. It is fine if you want to help him that is fine but he would need to be clean more than a few months for me to even give a ride to. Imagine if he was carrying something when you got checked. They have had dogs at weigh stations before and will in the future. It's your dream truck, you have to be grown up enough to make the hard decisions in order to keep that dream.

5. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    If I was you I wouldn't invest in him. If you do you should tell him if he can stay straight for a year you'll pay for his training.

6. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    How old is the owi and theft. Does he still smoke weed. If he does don't do it.if his crimes are recent probably won't get hired on.

7. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    If you're serious about helping him, tell him that he must get clean and stay clean for a good amount of time (at least a year), to show you that he is serious, before you are willing to invest in his education and in trust him with your valuable assets. If you don't make him prove his serious intent first, you will be enabling him to continue his current lifestyle.

For the record, this whole scheme of yours seems poorely conceived and will, most likely, end in a great financial loss.

Lepton1, spyder7723, Grijon and 3 others Thank this.
  8. ZhenyaP1991

Nov 6, 2014
    Yes he does, very recently. We playing cards and drinking right now, just feel bad for the guy.

9. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    ...not to mention, you may be BFFs right now, but after living with someone in the truck for a few months, you may end up wanting to eviscerate him. I teamed with mine for 6 months and let me tell you, either I had to get my own truck at that point or I would have soundly murdered him in his sleep, and he didn't have near the problems your buddy seems to.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  10. ZhenyaP1991

Nov 6, 2014
    One more thing. Let's say he is driving a regular car and we get cought. Will i get punishment as well, if even I don't smoke?

11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    You are going to have to toughen up. You can't afford to let emotions in on this life you have chosen. You can't feel bad for every friend that you acquire that makes bad choices. Another thing, If he lights up around you, walk the hell away and get out of there. If you are busted when riding together and there is a stash under your seat, who do you think the cop is going to suspect. It's just not worth the hassle.

Dye Guardian and ajohnson Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.