A lesson learn by a rookie driver I hope...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by truckerlife74, Jun 30, 2015.

1. truckerlife74

truckerlife74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Charlotte nc
    Good evening folks. Let me take you on a journey. 2 guys go on a NYC run from Nc to the Bronx. A nice 700 mile pay plus NYC extra pay. The 1st guy(me) has done the run about 5 times. The 2nd guy(rook) is doing the run for the 1st time and also is new to the company. I partially train the guy after his orientation. I notice he was a head strong young fellow and always knew everything. He is from St. Louis, mo The "show me" state. Anyway long story short today we both caught up with each other in New Jersey after the del bridge. Stop at a truck plaza. We had approx 4.5 hrs on our 14 which we are under electronic logs. I recommended we stop outside of ny about 90 mi and get it started again around 5 am to come into NYC around 7 hopefully. He wanted to keep on moving saying I'm just being lazy because we still have 4 hrs. It's around 2 pm est and the place stop delivering at 4pm. So doing 90 miles and getting over the GwB bridge will be cutting it close and then getting unloaded and back out of NYC will be almost impossible with 4.5 hrs. So Mr rookie went on and I call it a day at 2pm to get ready for and early departure. Long story short the rook in the last 2 hrs have call me about 7 times asking me what to do. He ran out of hours on the GwB bridge. Never made it to the delivery point. And now is looking for a place to park. All I can say at the moment is sometimes it pays to listen to people who have done this before.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    you know what they say. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    What to do? Pull out your 2nd log book.. What are you teaching this guy how to be a trucker or how to hold a steering wheel

5. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    cutting it that close i wouldve done what you are suggesting. Ive been into NYC 3 times, and knew from the stories it sucked on my first trip. Sometimes its best for the rookies like myself to just learn on our own and take our lashings.

6. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    I'd rather be "lazy" than stuck on the GWB out of hours any day of the week. Too bad he can't pull out the extra log book on e logs..

NavigatorWife and Vilhiem Thank this.
  7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    The George Washington Bridge is NOT a place you want to get stuck on, regardless of whether or not you are driving a car or a truck.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Had a situation like that last year. Had a run going from Corpus Christi to Limon,CO. Showed up to load, and realized that the other 2 drivers were pulling their first blades. They weren't rookie drivers, but they'd never pulled a superload before. Great...wish they'd tell me this stuff before we started. We got loaded, near 190 ft long. Didn't get a BOL until 3 PM. I told the pilot cars to call it a day, and we would try it again tomorrow. A couple of them looked at me odd. Well, one of the drivers came up to me telling me that the other rookie is pissed because we weren't leaving. "Ummm...okay?" , was all I said.

So a few minutes later, the hothead rookie comes up to chat....

Hothead: Why aren't we going anywhere?
    Six: where is it that you want to go?
    Hothead: Somewhere. We need to go.
    Six: I understand that, but where is it that you want to go? If you have a plan, we will go.
    Hothead: We could get into that truckstop in Junction, Texas.
    Six: There is a metro curfew for Bexar County from 4-7pm, then we'd have to take the 1604 Loop east, north then west to I10 west, 56 miles on the 1604, then 110 miles to Junction. What time would we be pulling into the truckstop with a superload?
    Hothead: About 9:30?
    Six: Well after evening curfew has begun. The safest thing to do is avoid bad situations altogether. There are 2 safe places...shipper and receiver. We are still at the shipper. The load is safe.
    Hothead: That makes sense.
    Six: See you in the AM.

It takes a bit to figure it out, but there's more to trucking than just go go GO.

9. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Too bad the dummy didn't stop at the last service plaza on the NJTP , I cannot remember the name myself, however, but nearly a stone's throw away form the GW Bridge.

Actually nearly ANY service plaza on the NJTP would have been better, past say the half way point. that should have worked.

Like said, you can lead a horse to the water, but when he has to pee, where does he go.??

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yeah that one is called the Vince Lombardi plaza, has a huge parking lot. It sounds like you were delivering to the market in the Bronx ... if he did indeed make it there before his time ran out he could have parked out back ...

How would that have worked on e-logs? Got to receiver, parked at say 3 pm, out of time at 4, receiver comes in at 8 and wants you to back it in, can you continue as sleeper time or does it automatically go to on duty or even driving then you are either in violation or have to start a 10 hour break again? I'm on paper and after I get done delivering there in the middle of the night I sneak over to the NJ service area ...

truckerlife74 and G.Anthony Thank this.
  11. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    All e logs are a little different. I can drive 3 miles in sleeper birth without kicking my logs onto on duty or driving. When I had a qaullcom it was only 1.5 miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.