A question about LS Agents

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by RustyBolt, Apr 7, 2016.

1. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    The company I am currently running for is going down hill and I am looking for a change. But that is a different story.

I found an ad for a LandStar "Agent" out of Ohio that has peaked my interest. I haven't contacted them (yet) as I am still researching the company. The ad doesn't give much in the way of specifics on compensation and "benefits". Can anyone tell me if agents are required to compensate their O/Os the same as LandStar does? Do drivers have to follow the same rules? Etc? Or does "agent" just mean that LS is their broker, more or less?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cdub304

cdub304 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Rockford,IL
    Lol approved carriers is what I think you are referring to. I ran for a landstar agent for 2 years. What I can tell you is that as an approved Carrier you get less than the landstar o/o. But it might average out after landstar does all its deductions I never had an o/o that I could ask the rate. As far as rules to follow if you got your own authority they don't have any additional rules for you. I'm gonna assume landstar is just the broker that they work under.

RustyBolt Thanks this.
  4. RustyBolt

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
  5. paintballer

paintballer Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    That looks like the Agent's website. A LS agent is like a Freight Broker using LS's Broker authority and bond. Sort of lick a OO that signs on to use LS's to use their Carrier authority. Was the add looking for OO to haul freight? or for someone to sell/dispatch freight. Some LS Agents a really successful and might have a staff to help sell freight, dispatch freight, or just do paperwork. Some do it by themselves. I would guess it all depends on the amount of frieght they handle.

If your planning on staying as a OO and are looking to find a new Carrier, you will need to be approved by the LS home office to carry their numbers on your truck. LS also brokers freight to other Carriers. So many LS loads get offered to both LS OO's and other Carriers (have to have your own Authority). The LS Agent has the option to use a LS truck or to broker it to another Carrier. Many times they offer to both and who ever calls in first gets it. At the Agents discretion.

Gross rate to the shipper is the same. ttt rate is complicated to compare between a LS truck and a outside Carrier's truck. The LS OO knows exactly what that Gross rate to the Shipper is. Most of the time the Outside Carrier will not know the Gross rate to the Shipper.

RustyBolt Thanks this.
  6. RustyBolt

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Looking for O/Os to haul freight. Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

7. paintballer

paintballer Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Guessing they are looking for someone to become a LS truck, but the decisions will be made at the Home Office on approval. They could be looking for a Independent OO (small local company) to broker excess freight to. Maybe they want a OO that is based in their local area for a specific shipper.

The Home Office also approves the Carriers that haul the Brokered Freight.

I am a IOO (carrier). I have hauled some broker freight from them over the past 10 years. They have always been a good company to work with. Maybe 50 loads, never one issue, they pay fast.

RustyBolt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.