A question for drivers in a lease purchase?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Mr. Hollywood, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Mr. Hollywood

Mr. Hollywood Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Captain Zoom,

Thank you for your input. I agree that two benefits lie in a lease purchase: 1. Tax advantages and 2. Possibly owning the truck in the end. It is because of these two benefits that I consider a lease purchase a viable option.

The main reason I have not pulled the trigger, to sign up for one, is because many of the companies control your loads through their dispatching. It doesn't make sense for me to make that move when the company has that control and not the lease purchase driver. In effect they control your revenue in the same way as they do when you are a company driver. Let's face it, there have been many weeks when they did not get me miles. As a company driver it sucks, but at least I don't have the added headaches of worrying about truck expenses and being in the hole.

Again, thank you very much for your advise. I believe that it is very good for would be independent contractors (as they call them).

Thetommy6470 and Captain Zoom Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr. Hollywood

Mr. Hollywood Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I agree with both of you. Thank you for your advise.

4. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    I've stopped reading after post#7 from captain zoom.

All I can say about is WOW. Head-on.

There might be only two things to add if not already mentioned.
    As a lease operator, you're only a company driver with a *.
    You're not making more money than a company driver but by the end of the lease you can call the truck your own and that's worth of how many $$$$ of resale value.
    This amount can be added now to your income during your lease. That's what you worked for.

Mr. Hollywood and Captain Zoom Thank this.
  5. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Then research the formula of getting a truck-tractor from another source and be free to switch companies if necessary. Look for a specialized company that offers services unlike others. Just pulling a van or reefer has too many competitors. Or perhaps working with a company that moves it's own products. I loaded at Nestle two weeks ago and they were advertising for owner ops, Sherwood Williams leases oo's as well to deliver paint.

6. bomoto

bomoto Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Chattanooga Tn
    I leased my first year aka rental truck with prime. Netted 80k. I saved 20k and I put down 15k on a lease purchase that I will own at the end of 3 years no balloon payment. My numbers are simple. 1k per week truck payment 200 for truck insurance, taxes ect. 300 a week for tire fund and repair accounts. I choose and turn down loads to maintain a 1.35 a mile average on all miles. I do just fine. I'm not a fan of per mile leases. I know I'll get bashed for this but that radio guy Kevin Rutherford is correct that 1.30 plus a mile is a liveable rate. Now it is not by any means where I'll stop growing. A year or so into this purchase I do plan to get my own authority and give the load boards a run when I get 6 months of expenses banked. I don't believe in lease programs that you pay way more than the purchase price. What I have learned is a fair lease purchase with a percentage based pay combined with good fuel and insurance discounts equals a good deal. And hell no I don't want a old used truck but in a few years my shiny new one will be old and paid off and yes I'll take great care of it and drive it till it dies truck payment free.

RERM Thanks this.
  7. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I read about all these .8 cpm to 1.30 per mile leases and I'm forced to wonder....HOW???

I have an honest question.....How do you get your cost down to 1.30 cpm???

I don't lease, but I financed my truck
    payment is $301.73 a week
    bobtail is $50per month
    comprehensive is $200 per week
    $46 per month HUT
    $150 per month Plates
    $150 per month truck parking
    $17 per month for LLC fees
    $150 per week maintenance fund
    $155 per month for telephone
    $25 per month for truck wash
    $200 a month for accounting + payroll
    $49 per month for attorney retainer
    My fuel cost per gallon for 2015 was $2.16

My MPG and repairs last year were high, I bought the used truck in 2014 and the repair bills, even after a mechanics PPI were high (Over $25k and I'm still hunting down issues just ran the overhead and did an injector cut out test due to poor mpg's ) so I kept them out due to being abnormally high. Also did not include tolls....but they were .04cpm last year and will be cut in half this year.

I took 2 weeks vacation and was down for about 3.5 weeks due to truck repairs....and 2 weeks off because of illness.

That all comes out to $1.55 per mile including a 30K salary on 74K miles

All miles 2015 was $1.79, for a $15,500 profit...

Now, please tell me where I can lower my costs....looking for advice here,

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  8. Jakebrake950

Jakebrake950 Bobtail Member

Dec 23, 2015

9. Jakebrake950

Jakebrake950 Bobtail Member

Dec 23, 2015
    x
    No break down needed u pretty much answered ur own ? at .51 a mile as a company driver is not bad. As a lease OP you have tax write offs and you may end up with the truck. Lease OP is amt per mile x miles driven minus 1000 to 1100 for truck payment and deductions minus fuel as for me I would take the .51 per mile

10. bomoto

bomoto Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Chattanooga Tn
    1.35 is my average pay per mile.not including fsc. A new truck lease with all fees cost me about 80 cents a mile. Yes it's about the same as a company driver but I'll own it in 3 years still under warranty and I'll get a few years payment free under warranty. Your paying way to much for fuel. My fuel costs per mile ranges 10 to 15 cents per mile after discount at 8 miles per gallon but I average high 8 to low 9s. So on a good light load I can almost fuel for free with the fsc. I accept the higher payment in exchange for less breakdown time and cost. 5 year 500k warrenty will last me well past the 3 year payment. Total cost of truck with title is 170k. I can take it anywhere I want and plan to do so in the future when I get my last few ducks in a row. I don't think any lease program is viable unless it's percentage based pay with fsc and a good fuel discount. Would I like to be full owner op.... yes I do but I'm doing it carefully in steps. I got nothing against buying old trucks and having no payment but I'm not into spending my hometime working on it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Reason for edit: Add
  11. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Whats your goal here? Is it to own a truck or make more money?

I am a fan of leasing. I lease but I do not lease purchase. There is a significant difference.

If you want to make more money, don't lease from a company that pays .90 to 1.00 per mile. Those wages are hard to turn a profit on. Look for a company that pays on % rather than cpm. Companies that allow you to broker your own freight. Anytime I hear someone say "I have to run 2500 miles a week before I earn a profit" will have a hard time with that business plan in my opinion.

If you want to lease purchase a truck I think there are better ways of ownership. I have heard good things about Sammons, but that's about the extent of my lease purchase knowledge.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.