ABF Freight System, Inc. - Fort Smith, Ar.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by sponge, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Iam confused then....I thought DOT regulation was 14 hours period.

Also, Most City Driver's can only work 13.5 hours if they take out for a half hour lunch.

But no doubt, they do work long hours.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    the city drivers are "air-miles" from the starting point (terminal) to (i think) 100-150 mile radius. they can drive without any log books as they are "local" drivers. going over 12 hours, then they have to do a log sheet, not a log book. then drive up to 15 hours total. this is the way its been going on. most drivers sign a "no lunch break taken" sheet to do more pick-ups/deliveries. but this is optional, so they can finish faster.

4. rl- LTL driver

rl- LTL driver Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2005
    lol wow, never heard of that. sounds like the driver is trying to make a point
    somehow. as i have had different poisitions with different companies i have
    found that each driver handles a dispatcher differently some will let the
    dispatcher run all over him while some will not let him get away with nothing.

when i was a city driver for a year and a half i wanted the hours so i would
    work 12 + regularly. but there was drivers there that would only work 8-9
    hours and they really cannot make you work more. but at the same time some
    routes require the extra hours and you should consult with other drivers
    before taking a run for that reason and among others. estes will run your *********
    off if you let them or you can put a stop to it and take it easy if they dont
    like it oh well lol.

5. rl- LTL driver

rl- LTL driver Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2005
    oh also ABF is very strict on thier drivers as far as having a clean record, this
    is why they are also highly regarded.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You mst be referring to union co's. I'm talking about NON-union co's whose linehaul drivers return to their home terminal every morning, at which time they are sometimes assigned city deliveries, which in itself doesn't really bother me. What's aggravating as hell is the having to take another truck on this city delivery due to the co's slip-seating policies, which means twice the paperwork, twice the fueling, twice the inspections, etc... That's why no one here wants to do that.

7. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Those drivers probably make no pickups for that reason. They would wind up holding up the linehaulers, which could screw things up for the rest of the week. Some outfits are better than others to do city work for.

As far as pissing of the TM, he can't say squat when the SAFETY DEP'T says that guy's done for the day. This TM is lucky he wasn't told to go pick this driver up and find someone else to drive the truck home, or drive it home himself. He'd have to if there were an outbound load on the trailer, and if enough freight didn't get moved due to this sort of mismanagement, it might begin to get the attention of corporate, who may decide to come and clean house.

8. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You are allowed to extend to 16 hours if you begin and end at the same place, and you are still subject to 10 hours off before you can drive again.

9. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I thought this was only in the case of an emergency? Due to the weather?
    One day per week.

10. littlebit

littlebit Light Load Member

May 27, 2006
    The 16 hour rule also applies if you are a local driver as long as you are released from the same location everyday. You can only use it once a week though.

11. sponge

sponge Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. I go for my physical this week for ABF. Thanks again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.