ABF Freight

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by SMIDAK, May 20, 2016.

1. SMIDAK

SMIDAK Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I am shopping around for a good LTL company to transition into in a years time... the short list is ABF, Estes and Old dominion. I'm wondering if anyone knows the education requirements (GED/High school) required to be considered for a driving position at these companies? By the time I apply, I'll have 3 years of OTR experience with a great safety record... would they consider me if I don't have a high school diploma? Are there any exceptions?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I've worked for just about every kind of trucking company imaginable, from the bottom of the bucket to the top, not one had ever asked to see a H.S. diploma or GED. I have a GED, for what's it worth, but some college.

4. SMIDAK

SMIDAK Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2014
    That's what my experience has been too... even if not me personally... it's been in my family for decades and I've never heard of that being an issue.

Old dominion says a high school diploma is required on their job postings. An OD drayage driver posting in Savannah, GA even says "some college preferred". Lol

Just making sure I don't need to start studying for the GED... already got all the endorsements and a few safety awards. Didn't want to neglect something that would cost my a job opportunity.

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    For heaven sakes get your GED! At least! There ain't no such thing as too much education. Even if a job you are looking at today, don't require none, how about the job you may want next year? Or ten years down the road?
    OK, I'll get off the soap box now, afore somebody kicks it out from under me...

6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    My company doesn't have an education requirement under "minimum requirements", but I'm pretty sure the question was asked on the application. They just have "basic math skills" and "fluent in English" listed, rather than a specific requirement.

The problem is if you cannot check off either the GED or H.S. Diploma boxes, it might raise additional questions if you got an interview like "why did you drop out of school?" or "why didn't you ever pursue getting a GED?". No trucking company has ever asked me for proof of my High School Diploma, but if they did, I'd be able to provide it. Get your GED if you possibly can.

Mike2633 and Giuseppe Ventolucci Thank this.
  7. GreenB90

GreenB90 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Anyone here know how long the process is for abf freight hiring process?

8. skinnytrucker

skinnytrucker Heavy Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    Very long and very thorough. Usually around 3 months

9. GreenB90

GreenB90 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Danm! The recruiter said the same thing..smh I was hoping to hear different lol

10. driverjoe1959

driverjoe1959 Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2016

11. Ailep

Ailep Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2018
    If you really have all the skills and knowledge necessary for their work, then I think that there should be no problems. I know many guys who, without a diploma, have found an excellent job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.