abf road driver bids

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by 85moneypit, Jul 26, 2016.

1. 85moneypit

85moneypit Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Just curious to see if anyone knows about the road bids at abf? If they are a set monday - friday schedule or a set run on set days. I know the extra board drivers are to be available 7 days a week at any given time. Just curious how the bids differ from the extra board. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Winbot

Winbot Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2014
    If its like the companies I've worked for it's just gonna depend on what run you get, some will be m-f some will be t-s etc. You would think the m-f runs would be harder to get on but in my experience unions pay time and a half all day sat and double on sunday so usually in union operations the weekend work is fairly unavailable. Again not positive but I'd expect it to be similar.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I can't speak for ABF, but at our place once you land a bid it's yours for at least a year, and then until you decide to sign up for something else that get's posted. At that point that's what you can expect to be doing every day.

Mike2633 and Giuseppe Ventolucci Thank this.
  5. kbello24

kbello24 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I work for ABF and for the Road Bids they are a Monday-Saturday bid for one year. Saturday's you are practically on call after your 10 hour reset. Different terminals have different start times but at my terminal the start time is 2AM

6. driverjoe1959

driverjoe1959 Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Are you kidding. For one you will be lucky to get a bid of any substance at ABF and no you will seldom work Monday thru Friday. ABF is trying to follow the Conway/XPO model but they still want their freight moved on weekends and holidays. Avoid this place it ain't what it use to be.

7. kbello24

kbello24 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New Jersey

Every terminal is different.. I'm at the biggest terminal in NJ and I've already gotten a utility 4 day bid and have only been there under a year. Prior to that I've been at 8am city driving. On holidays our road drivers do not work. It's an option not mandatory. I guess everyone's contract is different but I can't complain with ours

8. driverjoe1959

Mar 29, 2016
    Your a UE your life will change. Already getting rid of UE drivers. Soon you will be working weekends and holiday. Never heard of a road driver not working weekends and most holidays. Sure u aren't talking City? Also if you think you are going to keep a 4 day a week work week no weekends or holidays really. This is trucking and you are on the UE honeymoon.

9. kbello24

kbello24 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I actually won't be upset if they take UE away because I'll just go back to city lol. But you're claiming they are taking it away and that is false.. who will they have to unload freight quick enough? Dock workers can't keep up with the amount of freight now what makes you think they can if they take it away.
    They aren't taking UE away but they are changing it a bit.... instead of fully hourly, they are doing miles while you drive and hourly on the dock.. just like FedEx freight does

10. driverjoe1959

Mar 29, 2016
    A good lay down bid where I'm at 15 years seniority. Bid good for 6 mos no freight given the choice sit or go on extra board. Can only be booted if a senior driver loses his bid. They do have low mileage turn bids which are freakin awful
    but for bottom guys it helps to keep them working.

11. driverjoe1959

Mar 29, 2016
    More like Conway/XPO and UE positions are being eliminated at many of the smaller terminals the last change of operations created. Unfortunately those drivers will have to go to the bottom of the extra board if they come back to road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.