Acceptable employment gap?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DeadDuck, Jun 30, 2015.

1. DeadDuck

DeadDuck Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Haven't been able to find the answer to this question. What's an acceptable employment gap for the companies that hire new drivers?

I'm retiring from my 1st career after 20 years in software on Sept 1st. From that time until March my wife and I will be traveling and then I'm going to pursue getting my CDL. Will a 7 month gap after being employed for 20 years hurt or decrease my chances for getting hired on? Clean driving record, no brushes with the law, already passed a DOT physical and signed up for a WA state accredited driving school in March '16.

Thanks!
    Dan

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    You may want to call up the truck driving school, along with some trucking companies that may be of interest to you, and ask about this.

Good luck to you!

God bless you and your family! God bless the U.S.A.!

DeadDuck Thanks this.
  4. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    You shouldn't have a problem really , did you work for the software outfit the entire 20 years? If the answer to that is yes , then I'd see zero difficulties , that's a really great employment record....they'll see the gap , since you retired as getting your self ready for the challenges of another career.

DeadDuck Thanks this.
  5. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Can you fog a mirror? If so you will have no problem.

DeadDuck Thanks this.
  6. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Medium Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Nw Arkansas
    I doubt you will have any trouble I am about to start school and I quit my job after 15 yrs at the same place and will have been off for 2 months when I start school, I've been working on selling my house and just hanging out and fixing to take a week to vacation in New Orleans .. My recruiter just told me to tell them I took some R&R time .. No problem.. Just be honest and a decent recruiter will help you with the rest..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    DeadDuck and Tonythetruckerdude Thank this.
  7. TheJrodTest

TheJrodTest Light Load Member

May 5, 2015
    The Road to Omaha
    As someone in administration - this is not an issue. 20 years with a company is a great selling point, especially in this industry.

8. DeadDuck

DeadDuck Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Thanks all. That's what I thought, but doesn't hurt to ask. (I followed up with some starter companies and the school as well)

All 20 years at the same company. I didn't even stay with my parents for that long.

That depends. Is the test administered before or after my morning cup of coffee? :biggrin_25518:

77smartin Thanks this.
  9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Most companies will do a background check, and that will require accounting for all the time in the past 10 years.
    Even unemployed time.
    You will probably need a letter from one or two people, notarized, to verify your 'off time'.
    I had to do it with Swift and got a letter from my sister because I was living with her when I was not employed.

DeadDuck Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.