Acme Markets

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Blackshack46, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Hello everyone, I believe this is in the right forum.

Applied for a driver position at Acme Markets out of Denver, PA. My wife's uncle referred me and from what he was saying about the union, environment, work etc, it's going to be a good move from my current tanker position. I've never done food delivery to grocery stores, or what Acme does running to and from warehouses to their own DC here. Not afraid to work and where I work now, it's just not enough. And the pay is barely cutting the bacon. So I heard food service is where it's at and if my inside guy is telling me the truth, I'll be a happy man and be able to not worry about too much financially in a couple years. So question to you all, anyone know about Acme Markets delivering to grocery stores? And as he said I'll be training with him (been doing this business for 15 years, number 40 on acme's list) he'll train me, but what can I expect? Any pointers? Just if you have any info at all. Let me have it. This is a completely new side of the industry for me. And from what everyone I know tells me, I want this to work out.
    Thanks all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Acme is a good job, but be aware that it is union job and like most union jobs, there is a starting pay rate, which I think is about 70% of top rate. I worked in the food industry for 9 years and averaged in between 80-100k. I know 3 coworkers that work for Acme, since Hostess Brands closed down (where I use to work), and the're extremely happy there, and you're home every night. Food industry is where it's at if you want to make good money. I would also look at the food service rant link to consider other jobs as well. Good luck.

4. Blackshack46

Thanks, I'm actually in the union with my current employer. We share the same union hall as the local I would be moving to if I get the job. My current Union is a joke. Paying monthly dues for absolutely nothing. The company side gets catered too. Union side gets all the #### work. Hence I'm getting out of this company.

5. Blackshack46

I read the food service rant thread. It mainly felt with box picking and delivering to restaurants. Otr work. I know we do only d/h at the food stores except for new accounts that haven't transitioned over yet. And for them, you get electric pallet jacks. Anyway. Thanks for your response Juan22soul

6. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I'll try to contact one of my coworkers working for Acme. I'll PM you with all the inside info.

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  7. Blackshack46

Sounds good. Thank you.

8. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I just PM you with the info.

9. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
  10. Blackshack46

Hey Pintlehook, thanks for that link. That's about exactly what I was told. So that's about 4 people telling me the same thing. Four can't be wrong, right? I'm pretty anxious to get going and see what I can do at Acme. This sleeping in the truck 30minutes from home #### is really getting old. My current company just went elogs. Dispatch still thinks we can do the same thing we did when we were on paper. I'm not having any of that. My sleeper birth is my time. Not my problem you didn't schedule better when I gave you 24 hours notice about your failure.

Anyway. I put the app in last Thursday. They sound pretty eager for drivers since they just got 76 new a&p stores to cover. Let's start making that money!

11. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    Do you deliver on a rocket powered unicycle and say "beep beep" as you pull into each stop

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.