Adding a second leveling valve

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by safeyankee, Aug 18, 2015.

1. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I worked for a company the had trailers with Newway air ride trailers, which were top heavy, made in the 70's. They had a leveling valves on each side and the response was slow in turns. If the trailer was leaning a little one sided do not be quick to adjust. If they were driven around the block and parked it might lean the other way. A company I work with now had a single axle fertilizer spreader truck with a frame problem. It was plated up but leaned to one side when loaded. Putting a leveling valve to each side bought it a couple years. That was a farm truck. I would be really concerned about running an OTR truck with a messed up frame which it sounds like you may have. Follow GrapeApe's advise or take it to someone to check it out. I do not know what obstacles are in your way but you can invite our friends, that never lie, to come and play. Mr tape measure, level, and string. That may sound real stupid but clamp a string on a 1/2 in. board under the cab and pull it to the rear of the frame and clamp it the same way. Do both sides and if you see a problem you do not have to pay someone $300 to tell you your frame is bent. There are many other K I S S principle type checks that can be done with or friends that require little time or money. Do not jump to conclusions.

safeyankee and AModelCat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. safeyankee

safeyankee Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2012
    PA
    s, replacing the midway crossmember (major one right under the 5th Wheel) made a huge difference, definitely leveled the truck nicely, the old one became defective from the twist, so it was twisted. I haven't test driven the truck because 5th wheel is still off the truck til tomorrow and have no load yet to test it with. My only concern now is the casing on my left steer tire, I'm afraid it might be bad too, so I'm having it removed off the rim and checked. It looks good from the outside, but it might still be twisted internally. Thanks. Will keep you updated.

RSQ20, You know about this, the guys at the shop swear by it, and are highly recommending it. I think I'm gonna go for it, after all' it is a freightshaker. I'm curious about this anyhow. I think im lettin em do it in the morning.

I hear you prom night, i've definately thought about tweaking the bags on the sleeper too, either throw the roadkings next to them or spreading them a little, They really are kinda too close together and to the center. If not, maybe add two.

That's exactly what my boys are tellin me, Tee them together so theycan all dump together, but run each side independently.

I agree, frame is good now after replacing midway crossmember directly under the fifth wheel.

You're right, wanna be even/leveled in every aspect.

Crossmember by 5th wheel was twisted, just replaced it. Leveled good after new cross member.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
    icsheeple and GrapeApe Thank this.
  4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Good, now that things are straight, I see no problem splitting the suspension, let us know how you make out with it. I was just worried that you were trying to fix the leaning issue by pumping up 1 side higher, which would probably only mask issue and could compound problems.

5. safeyankee

Nov 16, 2012
    PA
    Grape ade, not only did i replace the midway crossmember, but had to get 2 new steers after that because the twist on the frame had worn the driver's side steer oddly. I test drove it and that tire was causing about 30 % of the problem. Now I have none of those issues. However, yes, I did end up having the air split, but have issues adjusting the ride height on the new leveling valve, i was driving today and stopped to check a couple times but had no air on one side until i moved the truck. Then i checked again and wouldnt build air on that side at all for awhile even when i moved the truck. Had to play with the adjustable rod on the new leveling valve to get it to fill. Both sides fill up now, but the ride aint right and i justchecked bags on both side and one has more air/pressure than the other. I was just going to go back toyour second reply i believe it was
    so i could remember where to
    measure from. I do see the difference w the dual leveling valve difference and it's pretty impressive, but you gotta adjust them just right.Going back back underneath the truck now to balance the air. Don't forget grape ade i repaced theleafs on the side that it leaned on too and got both new leafs for front end.

Had to go back to one leveling valve system, the additional one did not come with a dump on it so it was giving me problems. I think i have another twisted crossmember though.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Remember that there are two types of leveling valves:

Slow: on semi trucks and most trailers.

Fast: generally used on buses, properly built air ride dump trucks or to heavy trailers.

If you go to a L/R split type air ride, you generally want to use the fast/instant valve to better control sway.

Op, do you have a pic of the problem? How about cab mount bushings?

safeyankee and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    The twisted X-member maybe a result from a weak frame rail and or the first X-member failure may have caused a frame problem. Identify the problem then decide to repair or trade it. Frames can be fixed and it is hard to get much for a broken truck, time is also money. Identify the problem, access the cost and time to repair the problem then make the best decision. Dual air valves must match and be fast acting.

safeyankee Thanks this.
  8. safeyankee

Nov 16, 2012
    PA
    Thanks for the note, we found that the midway crossmember right by the sleeper air ride ( right under the sleeper airbags) is kinked in 3 spots, I'm replacing it in the A.M. as far as the leveling valve goes, I tried explaining that to the clown at the shop. The split air ride system wasnt working for me because bozo added a leveling valve with no dump, so I just went back to the single. It only makes sense what you're saying, kb3, how can it perform properly if its not trigger fast, i mean when a bump on the road throws the truck off it doesnt wait.

9. safeyankee

Nov 16, 2012
    PA
    The split air ride model i do like and will be going back into it to do it right. Will be getting the fastest ones available and matching them equally. My horse deserves it and not for nothing, been having my eyes on those roadkings for a while, especially after delivering to pothole city all the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.