ADHD or ADD

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by FLYMIKEXL, Feb 8, 2016.

1. FLYMIKEXL

FLYMIKEXL Medium Load Member

If you take meds for ADHD or ADD will this disqualify you from being a potential trucker?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    What is the drug prescribed

4. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
  5. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Adderall is a DOT banned substance.
    I can say this with 100% certainty because the doc doing my first physical lost her ovaries when she saw I used to have a prescription, even though the dates were from middle school. (It's the only prescription I've ever had, I figured it'd look fishy if I didn't put anything in the box)

sdpetheram Thanks this.
  6. Canned Spam

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

(ii) Does not use any non-Schedule I drug or substance that is identified in the other Schedules in 21 part 1308 except when the use is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner, as defined in § 382.107, who is familiar with the driver's medical history and has advised the driver that the substance will not adversely affect the driver's ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle.

I didn't quote the whole thing, as it was too wordy, but if the doctor says you're fit to drive you're good to go.

Farmerbob1, Tb0n3, roadmap65 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Prove to us Adderall is a DOT banned substance. Post a document or link.
    Your interaction with the doc is not proof.

8. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    It should be banned. There is no reason to need it for driving and you get drowsier than naturally possible on the comedown. Its speed. You are essentially asking if you can be a tweaker while driving trucks. And there is no way to prove you arent abusing the medicine. So you could take 2-4 pills at a time, or rail a few lines and if its allowed then they cant say #### to you. I hope you fail at this. You will be a danger on the road.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't ask; don't tell.
    Can't be more blunt than that.

10. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Adderall is dextroamphetamine, read that as amphetamine so possibly a schedule 1. Not sure I'm not a DEA agent. Just going off what I was told and the circus I had to go through with my doctor for signed papers saying I didn't need the meds anymore.

Could another doctor give you another answer, easily. Better be 100% legit because every drug test you take with that crap in you will test positive for meth.

11. Canned Spam

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

You obviously have NO CLUE about ADD/ADHD and the effects these types of medications have on someone with these conditions. I struggled myself with giving into to letting my son take anything for it. Was seriously the only way he could focus in school, which is the only time he takes it. Has the exact opposite effect you are talking about

Farmerbob1, Tb0n3, Friday and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.