Advice for new hotshot owner

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Alexander., Mar 1, 2015.

1. mojd81

mojd81 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Marshfield, Missouri
    Oh ok. Thanks again

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    You're welcome

4. TD2

TD2 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2015
    What company you used to get your MC?

5. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Just go the fmcsa website and do it yourself. Only takes about 30 minutes once you figure out what you need. Cost is $300.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  6. turboguy

turboguy Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    just curious why would you go with a RAM 5500 vs a single axle class 8 truck?
    for a lot less money you can get a nice class 8 rig with a single screw rear axle that will get better MPG, work a lot less hard, have better brakes and be more reliable then a RAM 5500

with the DEF on the ram 5500 system you're gonna get horrible mpg

7. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    This is just the way I see it,

I have worked with, and currently work with several guys who have switched out to the smaller set ups, like Ram trucks and GN style trailers. They tell me they wish they'd of dumped their big trucks long ago. Like I did, they see the benefit right away. As far as being more profitable with a semi truck, not hardly, the operating cost all around is higher with a semi truck then it is with a hotshot. That's why many of us experienced guys switched from semi's to Ram trucks in the first place.

It's interesting to watch but the new guys with little to no experience in trucking that start out in a hotshot all think they want to move up to a semi truck, ( I call it the, wanna be a big strap'er syndrome ) that is until they've done it. It isn't long after and they're trying to unload their big truck and go back to a HS. The big truck was eating the the profit they were use to earning with their hotshot.

As far as better brakes, the Ram 4500, and 5500 trucks have exhaust brakes and a lot better/bigger brakes then the 3500's use to have. I have seen guys here with 4500, and 5500's with over 180,000 miles on their original factory installed brake pads and they still had as much as 3/4 pad left. And when you put a experienced driver behind the wheel it'll flat out amaze you how long the brakes last.

As far as DEF/DPF, all trucks running on the highway will have it installed at some point. If you buy a older truck today you will at some point be forced to update the emission system (depending on where you're based, sooner rather than later). So lets say you buy a halfway decent, used Owner Operator spec'd out semi truck for in the $30,000.00 range (good luck finding it without 1,000,000 miles or more on it, and needing a total overhaul). You're still looking at installing the DEF system on it at some point at a cost of $15,000/$18,000. After you do that, you'll now have a older truck with a engine, and computer system that wasn't really designed to run with DEF, DPF, etc. On and off the tow hook you go, and in and out of the shop you go.

8. Tallboy11

Tallboy11 Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I have some questions as well. I am a new car manager at a local high line dealership and bought a 2011 F-350 duelly to haul the cars we dealer trade. I called progressive. They told me I'd be roughly $6,000 for a year of insurance on 1 million. I'm looking at a double car carrier vs. a 3 car to try and keep my weight below the 26,001 lb limit. Any suggestions from veteran guys that would be willing to help me out. Mistakes you made that I should watch for? The truck only has 58,000 miles and I bought a comprehensive warranty that will go to 148,000 miles. I'm ready to ship just want some wise advice if you have any! I'm assuming running this in my own authority is the way to do it because I already have my own cars to ship?

9. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    What's the reason for trying to stay under 26,001? The reason I ask is if it's to get around getting a CDL many states have a rule that if the trailer GVW is 10,001 lb or higher a CDL is still required.

Yes you'll need, and want your own authority.

Confirm with your insurance agent that your cargo policy covers $100,000.00 per Bill of laden upto 2, or 3 Bill of ladens. Being I haul a lot of LTL my policy covers upto 5 Bill of Ladings. Also ask if you are able to increase the coverage on a occasional trip. I'm able to increase my coverage by just calling my agent for a single trip. You'll want to be able to do the same.

Check with them and make sure they don't have you on a limited operating radius. Progressive is notorious for placing owner operators on a 500 mile radius. You want to be able to travel anywhere in the country.

Another thing, make sure your insurance agent places you with an A rated, On Shore Insurance provider. You do not want you policy written with a out of the country insurance provider. Or with a insurance company with a low rating.

And make sure the agent will issue insurance certificates to dealers brokers, or any other clients you may have on a moments notice during business hours. Ask your agent about being able to make that request yourself online.

If I missed something, or you have any other questions let me know.

TN_Chief Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I thought ALL states had that requirement -

"Combination Vehicles - Towing a trailer or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more when the gross combination weight rating (GCWR)** is 26,001 pounds or more."

11. Tallboy11

Tallboy11 Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2016
    This is all really great information and I appreciate it. Also do you know of any other insurance companies offer insurance besides progressive?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.