Advice for night shift drivers with "racing brain"...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Apr 26, 2016.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm guessing there's at least a few of you out there like me, who drive at night, and then have had problems sleeping during the day because your mind simply doesn't want to go to sleep (aka "racing brain"), or you've got kids like mine who don't know how to stay quiet to save their lives (I work weekdays, weekends off).
    There's been plenty of advice in other threads regarding sleeping during the day. This is about dealing with a normal, noisy household, and staying asleep, especially if noises tend to wake you up easily, as well as getting to sleep when your mind won't quit.
    If it's not a further distraction, I've found a couple ways to deal with both racing brain, and blocking out background noise. Again, if this proves to be a further distraction, it's not for you; it works well for me, however. Both require the use of a computer or smartphone, and a decent quality speaker, either you can plug in, or Bluetooth.
    For blocking out noise, I search "sleep music" on YouTube; there's a TON of videos featuring ambient music, most if which will play for up to eight hours or more. This is an example, I always use this one:

If you have the problem of not being able to fall asleep easily, I've found this, the narrator actually bores you to sleep:
    http://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com/
    I keep my laptop on the floor once I start either one, so it doesn't become a distraction unto itself.
    Again, this may work for some and not for others; I just thought I'd put it out there for those of you who are hardwired like me.

KriegHund, hunted and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    For me, thunderstorm sounds, or a fan, concentrate on the sound, drowns out background sounds.... zzzzzzzzzzzz

hunted and JReding Thank this.
  4. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    What, no sound tracks of idling trucks, reefers and APU's?

5. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Not for me, :) same reason I dont nap in the drivers seat...

JReding Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That and half a bottle of Nyquil.

rachi, tucker, Dominick253 and 5 others Thank this.
  7. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Not unless I want a migraine...:rolleyes:

8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I tried sleeping pills and even nyquil. Still doesn't work. I have to be really tired to sleep in the day time.

Last night I got loaded at 2000 and drove till 0500. Decide it was best since I was getting tired. But woke up when the sun came up, and somehow I don't feel tired. Idk it's weird sometimes

Mudguppy and JReding Thank this.
  9. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I've tried the "white noise" before, oddly enough it's more of an irritant than relaxing. Go figure.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  10. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Same here, metronomes don't work either. A running fan, or rain, that's it... lucky for me, my days of running nights is long gone. But i still trip into day sleeping if im off for more than a week... frickin annoying...

JReding Thanks this.
  11. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    In the past, I've gone for up to nearly 24 hours without sleep, it was becoming a serious problem. I tried sleep medication, supplements, etc. They either didn't work or only worked briefly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.