Advice on Caging Brakes - or is there another way to move my truck..?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by BigTel, Jul 7, 2015.

1. BigTel

BigTel Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I need some advice from you as I have a lorry I can't move. I have a Renault Midliner which I have been storing in a barn for the past few years. I need to move it out, but both batteries are dead, so I can't start it. The brake are obviously locked on now due to lack of air pressure.

I have looked up the process of 'caging' the brakes, but my breaks do not look like any others I have seen. I will upload a few photo's and perhaps someone will be able to tell me what to do. Hopefully someone will be able to suggest a way I can cage the brakes to allow the unit to be moved.

I do not want to go to the expense of buying two new batteries for it, just to move it. So any help advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigTel

BigTel Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
  4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You have a wedge type air chamber on this truck, It will be much easer to put air in the tanks by screwing a fitting into any plug on air tank then put air from a air tank in them, but you can turn bolt in center of brake chamber clock/wise till it will roll,

5. BigTel

BigTel Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Thanks for your reply. Do you mean I should turn the bolt arrowed clockwise? I presume this acts the same as the caging bolt on other systems? 2015-07-07 16_12_39-Presentation1 - Microsoft PowerPoint.jpg

6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Thats it but if you put air in tanks 1st an push in E/brake it will be much easyer to turn that bolt

BigTel and Cetane+ Thank this.
  7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    may also have to take a hammer and (tap) with a little gusto on the drum to free up the shoes from the drum after caging. since it looks like you don't have much room put the end of a short bar on drum and bang the other end with a hammer.

BigTel Thanks this.
  8. BigTel

BigTel Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Thanks for your advice on this. I will attempt to turn the bolts this weekend when I have a little time. Hopefully it will looses off the brake pads enough to allow me to tow the truck out of the barn..!

9. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Fill the system with air then move truck

If you cage all your brakes then proceed to move truck with no air in system you could have a run away. Don't forget you'll have no service brakes at all.

Just sayin.

BigTel and Oldman49 Thank this.
  10. BigTel

BigTel Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    ...trouble is I have no compressor to fill the system. I understand it's the safest way, but I will make a set of chocks and ensure I use them before and after I move it. I will then re-apply the brake pads afterwards when it's in the correct place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.