Aftermarket FLD Headlights

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by biofumes, Sep 13, 2013.

1. bbechtel16

bbechtel16 Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    PA
    Copy. Thx for the quick reply. Can you get LED bulbs? Is that a legit route? I know Speaker makes LED array sealed beam replacements, but wow are they salty, and I think eliminating the buckets is a good option.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AZtrucker171

AZtrucker171 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Buckeye, AZ
    I've never looked at LEDs, just went straight for the HIDs.... But, they're standard 9005 and 9006 bulbs (if I remember correctly), so if they have an LED in that type, than you're good to go.

4. truckerbangin

truckerbangin Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2013
    some pics of my hid setup 6000k in hi/lo beams and fog lights 20150217_080855.jpg 20150216_182715.jpg
    view from drivers seat bear in mind winshield is tinted with 35% IMG_20150206_221149.jpg

5. bbechtel16

Oct 13, 2009
    PA
    Thx guys. Can't really see it in the pics, do the low projectors have a pretty good cutoff? Don't want to blind anyone...

6. bbechtel16

Oct 13, 2009
    PA
    Wait bangin. You're using a different setup than the OP?

7. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I bought a pair for my CL120 a couple of years ago. Plug and play, Reefer. I like them, a lot. High and low, H7 bulbs. (I don't like the HID stuff: hate the blue colors some drivers choose, and not real happy about adding another device to power them) Caution: I had the bright idea to buy a pair of backup bulbs online. Sounded like a good idea at the time. Well, I put one in the drivers side low beam circuit, and about a week later it burned out, fried the harness (lucky I shut down right away before more damage occured) at the bulb, so now I don't buy that stuff online any more. I like the Philips product, but I hear Sylvania bulbs are OK.

FYI: I have no way of knowing if the projection units are any better than the stock replacement units. They cost about the same. I do know that my truck had cataracts on the lenses when I bought it, and wouldn't light up enough to read a magazine. So I like the projection units I bought. I can see deer at @200 yards.

8. truckerbangin

truckerbangin Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2013
    i just ordered some 4x6 head light housings off of ebay and bought h4 hid kits to use in housings

9. Alan Brechbiel

Alan Brechbiel Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    I am really needing help on this too! I picked up some 4 x 6 lamps at California Custom Truck Accessories in Ontario CA. (a 2 minute walk from the Petro or T/A.) They came with 9006 lamps and a direct plug-in pig-tail. I think the price was $34 each. I bought 4. I can put in the lenses and they fit just like the sealed beam units. When I test the bulbs with the pigtail everything works great. But when I try to install the lenses with the 9006 lamps and the provided pigtail, there just isn't any room. I'm lacking maybe 3/4 of an inch in the buckets. I could cut out the back of the buckets with a hole saw to make room but that would be kinda "savage". The water, salt, and dirt would contaminate the connections in no time and the repairs would cost more than the mod. Anybody have a solution???

10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Use a rubber plumbing cap and a hose clamp.

truckerbangin Thanks this.
  11. Alan Brechbiel

Alan Brechbiel Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Dad was in the construction business, I think I may have an idea from which you speak. A photo would speak much louder. A visit to Lowes plumbing isle may offer hope. Thanx.

truckerbangin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.