Air Brake Chamber Brackets Snapped

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DeGuzzie, Aug 2, 2015.

1. DeGuzzie

DeGuzzie Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Benson, Vermont
    Hey everyone,

(Question near bottom)

I've been under the mentor program at Swift for a couple of weeks. I am currently on my second mentor as the first mentor couldn't get me to Vermont so I can hand in my over the road test scores to my state and in return receive my Class A CDL.

Losing out on the first mentor is a shame. He is a truck driver of over thirty years and a mentor of ten years at Swift as a company driver. He knows his industry very well, was very professional, cared deeply for safety, and most importantly he cared to transfer as much of that knowledge over to me in the short period of time I would have been under his instruction. I also want to add that he did not want to see me go as I came in knowing how to shift and that was a nice change for him.

Now I am with my second mentor. He is a L/O and a driver of seven years in the industry and to be honest I don't know how long he has been a mentor. He has numerous rules he has given to himself when it comes to accepting load. His main one, no heavy loads. I originally thought it was because of fuel mileage but after some recent events the truth came out.

He had no choice but to accept a load that weighed 39,000 lbs that was to be delivered in TX after a 900 milesh trip. I drove the first portion until my driving hours were nearly maxed out. We both went to sleep and my mentor continued the rest. Once we got into TX the traffic thickened up and he had to apply the brakes hard a few times. A couple of those times the smell of brakes snuck its way into the cab of the truck. I took note of it.

We T-called the heavy load for a light load that was going to New Jersey. At this point I began to get some rest before I was going to drive. During my rest I heard a air horn go off then shortly after my mentor pulled to the side of the road.

As it turns out the brake chamber bracket of the passenger side rear most drive tire on the tractor was hanging by the air hoses and smacking the ground. The brake chamber bracket adjacent to the one hanging was also cracked and ready to give. Now I am sitting at a terminal waiting to see if I have to switch mentors again or if the one I have sticks with it.

My question is. . . Can exccessive force due to a heavy load and exccessive applied brake pressure be the cause of the brake chamber brackets from breaking? Or are the parts just that cheap? I have a hard time believing brackets "just" break for no reason. Even as a green behind the ears truck driver. It is a 2015 Freightliner 13 speed Cascadia Evolution.

Oh yeah I forgot to finish this quip. The last time my current mentor hauled a heavy load, the same brake chamber bracket that is currently dangling by its hoses had broken before not even two months ago. Sooo. . .?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Sounds like a weak and/or defective part.
    The chineese steel on the market these days in combination with increasingly thinner metals to achieve less weight are starting to cause serious durability problems.

In short; Brakes should never fail this way no matter how hard you press the pedal or how high the application pressure is.

truckerlife74, Rick Brown and truckon Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Not sure how anyone would consider 39k lbs a heavy load. The company I work for hauls 44-46k regularly.(depending on the year of the truck) Previous companies had similar weight loads. Depending on which brand axles he has under the truck, 39k is a drop in the bucket, especially if it's loaded right in a 53' trailer. Standard Dana axles are rated at 40k, where most states only allow 34k on your tandems, a 39k load probably didn't even put you past 30-31k on your tandems. Diamler trucks (a.k.a. Freightliner) started producing their own drive line components some years ago, KB3 is probably correct, inferior manufacturing or materials...plus, if the yahoo that fixed it the 1st time didn't know what he was doing, he could have not fixed it right. It was probably re-welded on, and if the person doing the welding wasn't a proficient welder, it wouldn't hold long even bobtail.

I have 3 million miles on my butt, and have never had a drive axle brake mount break. And until I came to work for my current company, I had never had one break on a trailer...but I have had 3 break on trailers here(older equipment)...the shops that fixed the 3 trailers said that they see trailer brackets break all the time.

5. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    I'm not a mechanic, but I play one on TV. My advice on important things to know about the trucking business....don't fool around when it comes to brakes. Can't think of too many things that are more important than stopping a 40 ton battering ram from smashing people. Get them fixed or don't drive.....you could be charged with murder for knowingly driving with defective brakes.

Rick Brown Thanks this.
  6. bandit74

bandit74 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Yep.....I had a brake chamber crack and fail where the airline fits into the chamber. Looked like cheap metal....Lost all air in 6 seconds, locked up one brake big time.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. DeGuzzie

DeGuzzie Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Benson, Vermont
    Yes. Brakes are important and need to be 100% at all times, which is why we are at a terminal and can't leave until Tuesday.

I just wasn't sure if brake chamber brackets fail like this under heavy loads because they are cheap or driver error.

Rick Brown Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    In my time as a mechanic so far I've only seen 1 S-cam tube/chamber bracket related failure so I'd have to say it as a defective part. The one I was called out to the tube cracked all the way around at the axle end.

9. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Ive had quite a few chambers come down...usually its the welds crystalizing or cracking, a crazy amount of bumps and vibrations there!!

Its the first place to look if your challenged to find a crack anywhere on the truck...!!

Because I towed for awhile, I know them little plastic covers are for when you need to "cage" (manually release) your brakes...Theres a "cage bolt" attached to the cannister, you take it and screw it into the hole after removing the plastic cover, thusly releasing the brakes

For anyone who didnt know....If everyone knows, and Im just tarded, well....DOH!!!!

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It happens like everything else. A defective bracket and the fatigue that makes it break, that's all.

11. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Freightliner has a common issue with the s-cam tube support brackets breaking. I suspect one broke and went unnoticed until the s-cam tube broke loose.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.