Air Brake Test for Class B

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ralph8284, May 24, 2016.

1. Ralph8284

Ralph8284 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    Hello everybody,
    So I have a question regarding the pretrip air brake test in California. A few weeks ago I took my DMV test. I passed my Air Brake test, in cab, and walk around tests. Also I passed my skills test. I failed my driving test. I stalled my engine in the middle of a busy intersection. I have 1 more try in a few weeks but this time I'm trying it in an Truck with an automatic transmission.
    My questions are, is there any difference between the air brake test in a manual and automatic? I know I have to choke the wheels. When exactly do I remove the chokes? Do I place my transmission in park or neutral during my test? I'm nervous because this is my last attempt and I need to pass this test. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    You might only get licensed for an auto if that is what you test in. Just sayin. I have no clue about the tests for a straight truck. I got my B through Army service back when they would grandfather licenses over.

4. Ralph8284

Ralph8284 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    Yeah my license will be restricted but at this point I just want to get licensed. My job paid all the fees for me and all we have here are automatic transmissions anyways. I don't want to fail this last attempt because that'll put me in hot water with my company so I don't mind having a restricted license. I could get it unrestricted later down the road.

5. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    They should send you through a proper school that will teach you these things and many many other things that YOU will be held accountable for knowing once on the road. Anyways, good luck.

6. Ralph8284

Ralph8284 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    Like I said. I passed everything but the road test. I went to a so called "proper school". I learned what I can. I paid $1900 for the course and now that I completed my time there they want to charge me for extra time which I can't afford. Seems like they just want my money which is just part of business. All I want to know is when I have to remove to chokes and whether I perform the tests in park or neutral.

7. Redbeard93

Redbeard93 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Ruther glen va
    Neutral would be my guess, but if you already passed pretrip and skills, then why would you have to retake it.

8. Ralph8284

Ralph8284 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    In California you're required to take the Air Brake test before each road test attempt. I'm familiar with the air brake test using a manual but not using an automatic which is the only truck I have available for my next try.

Redbeard93 Thanks this.
  9. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    You'll want to remove the chocks before you start the drive portion of the test.

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    That's a good question about the automatic and air brake test. I suppose if you actually chock the wheels, then neutral would be the choice to proceed with the air brake test.

With a manual, we put the truck in LO gear and said we were doing that to represent the same as chocking the wheels.

Also I think if you take the driving test with an automatic your license will be for automatic trucks only and restricted from driving manual trucks.

11. Redbeard93

Redbeard93 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Ruther glen va
    Thank you for the clarification, ralph

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.