Alberta Owner operator vs Authority; pulling hoppers advice please

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by navitatla, Oct 8, 2015.

1. navitatla

navitatla Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Hey guys I've been a driver for a company out of Calgary for the last 3 years. I've been pulling super B pneumatic trailers all around Alberta and some Saskatchewan. I'm getting really sick of being taken advantage of and being told what to do for mere peanuts (that's another story). Anyways I know the economies really slow right now but I still want to try my luck. I am thinking of buying a new Kenworth w900 which will cost me 200k payments of $3500 - $4000/monthly, it will be my first time being an owner operator and first truck so I don't want to risk buying used.

I think I will really enjoy hopper work, I like how the runs are in the rural areas with less traffic and congestion. I like the opens farms with no need to worry about PPE, it doesn't seem like much physical work either with the exception of sweeping. I have a Fast card and would probably look for a company that does runs in the U.S. (Get away from the crazy Canadian winter). I would also like to get my own authority and try to pull my own loads. Now before I do all that I need to get on with a reputable company. I would probably run 7days on 3days off.

If there are any owner operators pulling hoppers I would love your 2 cents. Do you know if all companies work with o/os with their own authority or only some do? Some choose not to? Should I talk with a company hiring owner operators and let them know that I also want to get authority? Also I know income varies on a lot of things but I'm wondering how much i can except to make with a new truck pulling hopper bottoms?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CanadianVaquero

CanadianVaquero Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I know TBM Logistics out of Calgary hires O/Os, and was told its 2.50 a mile. No idea about the hiring process. But its not all farms, theres a lot of other products that go other places. There are ag specific companies too. Keep in mind, certain things like some feed pellets, barley, etc are ridiculously itchy because of the dust. And PPE can be a must no matter where you are, I've worked ln many ranches unloaded bs and at the least gloves and a decent mask are vety helpful. All that dust can cause major breathing problems.

4. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I haven't heard of (m)any successful o/o's who started with a new truck payment.

Advice: if you want to try a new line of work, do so as a company driver and find out if you like it. Then ask around and get to know the business. If you're still keen, then you can lease on with that company as an o/o.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.