All I Transmit Is A Squeal...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Ken, Jul 2, 2010.

1. GregLightning

GregLightning Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Tampa,FL
    I have found that running a seperate ground wire all its own from the radio box (metal)
    to the ground side of the battery helped me defuse all grounding issues..Also with antenna's can be affected by the amount of metal the cab is made of.Many trucks have fiberglass cabs while some don't.Ive found that putting the coil part of my wilson 5000 above the top of the cab roof level helped tremendously..Also I mounted mine as far forward from any trailer I may hookup because I noticed trailers can affect the swr's as well..Be bold and learn/test your radio adjustments as well..Could be that simple..I also run a noise filter in the power wire running to the radio..These are cheap at most any radio shop or truck stop and really helped my radio sound clear.
    Nothing sounds better that a powerful but clear radio. Good luck

Ken Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I agree with you for the most part. The only caution is creating a ground loop, Your grounds should originate from the negative post of the battery, not the chassis of the vehicle. Also consider the current draw of the equipment involved. Your negative has to be sufficient to handle the current the same as positive.

Most of the time if you need a filter on your positive you have a problem that the filter is going to mask at best. The diodes in the alternator, or dirty connection, bad ground straps (Battery to Frame or Frame to Body). Of course it's tough to convince the normal mechanic the diodes are bad, even showing them they have A/C on the DC wires.

Mounting your coil above the roof level is correct, your signal starts radiating at the top of the coil.

4. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    Well, I'm heading over the hill for the week. It'll have to wait til I get back now..

The cb shop isn't open today.. Maybe I'll catch them on the way back.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone..

5. singletrucker47

singletrucker47 Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2010
    yucca valley,ca
    Have the finals checked by a cb shop. I had the same problem with my connex. The finals were fried.

6. GregLightning

Jun 23, 2010
    Tampa,FL
    Ken instead of running to a shop to check you can purchase an SWR meter relatively cheap at any good shop or some truck stops and then you can check it anytime you like and learn more about it in the process.Do a search online here and find good info on the whole process

7. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    And the winner is.................................... A bad mic.. or at least a bad mic cord..

On the way over here I was able to talk on ch 19 for a few minutes before the squeal started up..

This morning I put the old mic back on and everyone heard me just fine..ALL DAY!!..

Thanks for all the help, everyone..

8. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC

I win, I win. See post #4:biggrin_255:

9. GregLightning

Jun 23, 2010
    Tampa,FL
    Well thats cool ..An easy fix. I always keep a rotation of mics just in case. Its usually a case of lubing the contacts in them..:biggrin_25524:

10. Jolsen

Jolsen Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    East of the big crick
    note to self buy that 5 pin rk-58 mic

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Glad you got the mic handled, but have you addressed the high swr.

Ken Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.