All trucks must enter open scales

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Big Jay, Jan 19, 2012.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    as for the static bags that they come in they dont always work for blocking out signal we dont run prepass just ezpass i was down in philly and for some reason my ezpass went off while paying cash at the toll booth nothing came from it but its still on record that i was down there so from them on i throw it in a potato chip bag and throw it in the fridge never had a problem since then

one of our other drivers had the same thing happen to him in maine one of the toll boths pegged his ez-pass about a week before my incident

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    The end of last month, I ran a load (flatbed) from San Diego Ca, to Fontana Ca,. It was a Sunday morning around 10am when I enter the northbound scales in Rainbow on Hi-15. I was loaded but I usually run empty heading north. Well I forgot and/or wasnt thinking and drove on the Empty Lane when I was Loaded and didn't realize it till I had clear the lane and I expected to get RED lighted BUT didn't, so I figure there gonna go chase me down the interstate, They didn't. So go figure, Anyway's wanted to share it here. Even ole crusty driver's have a slip here and there.

4. THIRSTY

THIRSTY Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2011
    SPOKANE, WA
    This may seem like a dumb question, but what would happen to a driver that bypassed a scale in error? Are they understanding, or is it a fine everytime?

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    It depends on the cop. I remember back in my rookie years (1979-80), I was on I-80 north of Oakland, I beleive the Cordelia scales, anyway's, I had a red light on the empty side but couldnt understand what they was saying over the load speaker so I kept going. Well they chase me down 2 or 3 miles down the road and I was ask why I didn't stop, I replied I didn't hear anything and didnt noticed the red light, well the CHP took my driver license and told me to go back. So I did and they gave me a level 1 inspection and pass it and was on my way.

THIRSTY and Wargames Thank this.
  6. THIRSTY

THIRSTY Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2011
    SPOKANE, WA
    Good to hear, it's not necessarily a fine. I'm sure that some day, I'll have that happen and forget I'm driving a truck, driving past like I was in my own vehicle.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Whats that scale that has the "bypass when ramp is full" and there is a sign with an arrow labeled "here" to indicate when it's full. It's like 15 or so feet into the exit ramp.

Those people are morons! I'm not going try and stop in that short of a distance, go find an upside-down one-legged stool to sit on.

8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    What about the "Bypass photo enforced" deal in Oregon? Do they really take your picture if you blow by an open scale? Has this ever happened to anyone?

9. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    They take your picture regardless. They just use it to track you down if you blow the scale, since they have it anyway.

10. CaptPeabody

CaptPeabody Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Fredonia, KY
    That's every scale in Tennessee. I've blown by them with room for at least two trucks and never been chased. The one in Manchester on I-24 is supposed to be one of the hardest scales in the state, but that's where I blew by it.

skellr Thanks this.
  11. SmoothBore

SmoothBore Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    The Desert
    All you drivers need to remember, whatever luck you have with scales. Does not apply to Oregon and Washington...These guys are serious trucker nazi's. You can say whatever you want about California. But, I ran BC/WA/OR/CA for just shy of 2 years. And before that job I ran OTR 48 states.

I have never seen the f--kery anywhere that comes close to OR/WA. I got popped in the Rainbow scales on the 15 heading to Otay Mesa, got pulled in for a level 1. Didn't have a logbook filled out AT ALL. They guy made me fill it out in front of him and that was it, the other time in Corning, was a little off on the bridge law....Let me go again.

Ill throw this in there, IL are a--holes too. I got shut down in a po-dunk scale house just West of Bloomington, IL. And the guy told me that I'm shut down but I can't stay here I have to leave, but I can't drive my truck either. So he insisted I call a tow truck to tow me to the T/A in Bloomington, or call some guy who drove out with his pick-up. Gets in your rig, drives your truck to the truck stop and you follow him in his pick-up that he came in.

All in all, all the split speed limit states are money hungry communists.....WA and OR being the worst.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.