Almost a rookie... One step closer

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by SpokedB, Jun 21, 2015.

1. SpokedB

SpokedB Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2015
    So I've passed my road test and have been sending out resumes and with any luck my first interview in the trucking industry is not too far away. With that in mind I was hoping to take further advantage of the good advice I've already received on here.

I would like to go into my interviews as prepared as possible so I was wondering if any of you who have already gone through it would be willing to enlighten me on what to expect from the interview process. ... What will be expected of me ? What to look out for? And anything I may want to take with me... As always any thoughts are both welcomed and appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    I always showed up to interviews with steel toes on, high vis ready, gloves, flashlight. Ready to do a pretrip If they ask and a road test.

SpokedB Thanks this.
  4. SpokedB

SpokedB Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I'm guessing it would be wise to try to brush up on the parts of the pre trip that were only covered in the in class portion of my schooling? Like under the hood for example.. It was covered in class but for the sake of time the ministry cut it out of the road test and therefore it was not taught any further than in class.

5. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    You didn't get tested on the pretrip threw the government road test? Wow... That's crazy. Any future company that will want to hire you will want to know you can do everything in a pretrip. In cab, air, outside, under the hood. Best brush up on it all.

SpokedB Thanks this.
  6. SpokedB

SpokedB Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2015
    We did do a pre trip and in cab air etc but in comparing what I learned in "class" and what I was taught on the truck there were things I was told were left out of the road test for the sake of time by the ministry (which is insane in my opinion) but consequently they did not spend any time on it once you got on the truck.
    I did have to do the in cab air and a circle check etc. but there were things I noticed were missing that I learned in a book but not in practical application. The most obvious of these to me was the only reason we popped the hood was so the examiner could watch us do the mark and measure. We didn't "inspect" anything under the hood. As near as I could tell that was the most glaring difference between what I was taught in a book and what I was taught in practicality.

7. flyguy35

flyguy35 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Congrats SpokedB!!! Though I have not started my course yet but I have been researching the possible companies that might give me interviews. A lot of drivers have posted either on forums like this or on a blog detailing the interview process and even what the road test was like. I have booked marked them for quick reference.

As for the pre-trip inspection, I have been watching this video. I think the instructor does a very good job and I like how he talks his way through the inspection.

Hope to see your post that you have a job very soon.

SpokedB Thanks this.
  8. SpokedB

SpokedB Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Only had time to check out the first ten minutes or so but looks like an excellent video and I'll definitely watch the rest later. Thanks for your post and good luck with your class.

9. hunted

hunted Medium Load Member

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.