Alternative Fuel

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Dieselman3, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Dieselman3

Dieselman3 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I have a question about fuel. I got my first diesel pickup about a year ago and started to get really interested in how the after treatment system worked, which led to looking into alternative fuels, which led to research into a process for making fuel emulsions that I'm trying. It's for my own truck now, but I wondered what an owner of a larger truck would think about it. Since I would have the know-how and capability to deliver to regional owner operators or trucking companies with fleets, I figure it's worth looking into. There's some good science behind it, but basically the long and short of it is that it's similar to water/methanol injection (with all its benefits), only in fuel form as a water in diesel emulsion, so no modification to existing equipment would be needed. A realistic way for me to do it would be to buy in bulk, process the fuel, and sell the product at 10% less than the bulk price I paid for it. There seems to be interest in biodiesel, and increasing fuel economy through truck modifications, so how about this? Water in diesel emulsions are recognized as a viable alternative fuel by the EPA, which means it had some technological hurdles to jump in order to get certification. I'm wondering if most would just write it off because there's water in it (on the molecular level), or some people open to the idea? And how big of a deal is 10% off fuel at the current low prices anyway?

Just curious. And thanks if advance for any responses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Companies and most O/O have fuel cards and tend to be able to buy their fuel at a price much lower than the price on the pump. I myself no longer drive so I dont know the current rate. Those whom use the fuel cards will have to respond, yet I am only taking a guess here that it is 40 cents off the pump price.

You can be like Willie Nelson whom tried to supply bio-fuel for the masses. Yet a rule of thumb says, to try something that is unproven may mean time spent along the road broke down for trying something new.

LindaPV Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The exhaust treatment systems are so expensive to repair and certainly if they ever get wind that an "alternative fuel" was used, that truck will never get any type of engine or other system work covered under warranty. That idea alone will exclude all but those with much older equipment which are becoming quite rare these days.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've never heard of mixing diesel and water. I've always been told water + fuel = blown injector tips.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  6. Dieselman3

Dieselman3 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Thanks for the really good info and perspective. I plan on checking into what "distributor-level" pricing would look like when buying bulk. I'm sort of modeling this concept on a couple local companies I know about that get bulk diesel delivered to the company site from a local distributor. If buying the same quantity, I could possibly get the same pricing, process it, and sell to that customer at the discount. So more like a specific service for a regional trucking company.

Warranty is a whole other issue though. How long is the average warranty on engine components? Where does a 5 year old truck with no warranty end up? Enngine overhaul with new warranty? Sorry if there's are dumb questions, I'm just starting to learn about the industry.

Thanks for helping think out loud on this.

7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    You would be better served working with the engine manufacturers directly. I don't care how long my truck is out of warranty, I am not going to run something that it was not designed to run. If something is damaged it gets real expensive real quick. Are you willing to cover repairs and down time? Who determines what caused the damage? If a truck has 800k miles and blows up, what caused it? The mileage or your fuel?

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    All I can tell you for sure is engine manufacturers and truck builders have gotten warranty denial reasoning down to a science. They spend 80% of their time looking for ways to deny a warranty claim due to "Improper or unauthorized" application, use, maintenance, fuel, or lubrication product.

If they find the driver had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for a time back in 2014, they will deny a DPF component warranty claim just based on that.

cnsper and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Another consideration is performance of your fuel. Will horsepower suffer as a result of the fuel being diluted?

10. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I think would have to hurt fuel economy, while you might be upping the compression you still lose power density in the fuel.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  11. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    Most O/O's that don't have the technical know-how to produce alternative fuels on their own are wary of them to the point of superstition. Those that do will run water/methanol injection or propane injection they set up on their own, usually for more power on engines without emission controls, whether they came from the factory that way or not.

What you're probably going to want to look for is a small fleet that does its own fueling, usually vocational fleets, where they've relegated fuel purchase to a bean counter that only sees the bottom line and hasn't had dirt under their nails a day in their life. They've usually got 500-1000 gallon above ground fuel tanks sitting out back, so they're easy to find.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.