am i able to get a CDL???

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by avp12304, May 28, 2015.

1. avp12304

avp12304 Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    Hi all, here's the deal, I live in Houston Texas and I definitely want to get my cdl and eventually the X endorsement as well..but...I got a dwi back in August of 2012 that I was able to get reduced to a reckless driving charge, am I eligible to get a class A cdl still? And will this hurt me in eventually getting the X endorsement as well? I was going to go to the trucking school thru PAM transportation but they said I have to wait 3 years to be eligible?? And will I have a hard time getting hired with this reckless driving on my record? Thanks in advance y'all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    In all honesty,.. it would be best to wait 5 yrs to get the DUI/Reckless off your record.

You can get your CDL now. Thats the easy part.

Where you will hit a wall is that no company will be able to hire you because as soon as they give your credentials to their insurance company,.. they will deny you from being insured. Or at the very least,.. charge the company a $5,000 - $7,000 premium on top of their existing insurance. No company is going to pay that for someone who has already shown they are dangerous on the road in their own vehicle,.. let alone a $120,000 semi truck.

Not trying to bash you or put you down. But this is what you will come across. None commercial insurance companies may or may not go back farther than 3 yrs. Commercial often look back 5 yrs.

I mean look at it realistically,.. would you hire someone with a recent reckless driving charge? For truckers, your driving record is your livelihood. Insurance companies started cracking down years ago. Its not as simple as just getting a CDL anymore. Now,.. people who have 1driven over the road for 10yrs with impeccable records.. all they have to do is come off the road for what ever reason for 3 yrs or longer,.. and they will struggle to return to work. Their experience means little to nothing with out having been working behind the wheel for at least the previous 3 yrs. They will have to go take a refresher course and even then start at the bottom as if they just got their CDL.

This is how the industry has transformed. Too many drivers not taking their job seriously enough,.. dozing off, speeding, careless, reckless, intoxicated,.. killing people. Enough was enough and now we have the regulations that we have.

If you are serious, hire a lawyer and see if he can petition a judge to wipe the incident from your record. Much will depend on your previous record. The judge will look back through everything starting from when you first got your license and judge you for everything that is on there. If you have more than 3 or 4 speeding tickets in your lifetime,.. any other reckless or DUI's etc,.. you can pretty much hang that idea up.

Like I said,.. getting a CDL is the easy part.

Hurst

merlinn and Tonythetruckerdude Thank this.
  4. avp12304

avp12304 Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    Hmmmm definitely not the answer I was hoping for...but at the same time, I told the guy from PAM transport about all this and he just said ok, give me a call when it's been 3 years...which it almost has been...sounding like I will just go thru their trucking school then go straight to work there after..

5. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    You can get your CDL...but that job your gonna get won't be all that great.

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Nothing is impossible. I'm living proof of that.

Keep knocking on doors, keep your head up and nose clean. Expect to be treated like a disease for a while. The main thing, if you do find work,.. what ever you do, do not do anything to jeopardize your record. You will not be in a position to have any wiggle room.

Once you show at least 5 yrs of clean problem free history,.. you can then shop around for better work and feel great about yourself. Until that happens,.. stay humble and focus on due diligence. You can try it after 2 yrs,.. but in this business, 2yrs usually gets you companies that are desperate for drivers. Usually there is a reason they are desperate for drivers. I encourage you to weigh your options intelligently.

Hurst

Tonythetruckerdude and walstib Thank this.
  7. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    OP , your absolute best choice , would be listen very carefully to what Hurst just posted , both of the posts....he is dead on , both times.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.