Am I being underpaid?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by diesel drinker, May 4, 2016.

1. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I often read here about foreigners running for peanuts so since I am foreigner (east european to be precise) I'd like to ask your opinion about my pay.I have 18 months of experience,1 moving violation and drive for one of those east european companies out of Chicago.I am hired on 1099 and make 48cpm (weekly i do 3000 miles on avg) plus $50 per extra delivery.since i do long distance LTL i have on average 4 of those extra stops.i don't have any benefits.
    Home pretty much every weekend and drive 2007 Volvo governed @74 mph.
    So what you guys saying am I being underpaid and should look for another job or am i being paid fairly?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Your truck? Your trailer? All company equipment? If you're 1099, and using any of your own equipment, way underpaid. If using theirs....eh, probably about right since you have to pay your own insurance and stuff.

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  4. VolvoTerry

VolvoTerry Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    Your truck or theirs? Not that it matters much, at .48cpm 1099 if they own the truck and trailer and all associated costs, you are still on the low end of pay, and I would not trust the company as they are playing around to avoid paying taxes on you.
    If it is your equipment run now.

Toomanybikes and diesel drinker Thank this.
  5. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    Their truck their trailer,their fuel card,cash advances and their i pass.

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Pay isn't great, isn't too bad though. On 1099 you're paying an additional 7.65% on taxes, so now youre at 44.3cpm, the amount a company pays on a health insurance plan for a single person is normally about 70/week, so now you're down to 42cpm, say your 401k match is 50% up to 6%, that would be an additional 3% lost that a company would normally pay, so you're down to 40.7cpm. Now let's look at vacation- average company driver has 2 weeks of vacation, so take an additional 3.8% out of your pay compared to what a company driver makes. You end up at 39.1cpm
    Essentially your are paid about what a company driver makes starting out, once you calculate in all the benefits they receive.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  7. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    Guys mind that i only have CDL for 18 months and my MVR is not exactly perfect.1 ticket for unsafe change of lanes.

8. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    And on a 2nd note, most company drivers are in trucks that are 5-8 years newer than yours.

9. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    But if you like the company stay with them, just saying the pay isn't as stellar as it seems.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    How much are you ecspecting to make?you being a foreigner has nothing to do with what you are making.Anybody starting out with this company would be making the same.You was aware of what you would be making before starting this company wasn't you?I think you're getting paid well.Except for no benefits.If you feel you should be paid more then find another job only this time find a company with benefits.

KriegHund Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The problem is, you have no benefits and it's your responsibility to pay your own social security taxes and create a retirement plan, plus a health insurance plan.
    You'd be better off in the long term working for a company that pays on W-2 and has a full benefits package.
    You can do ok where you are if you're a wise, astute invester with your money. Sometimes this doesn't sink in until you look in the mirror some day and see all those wrinkles and gray hair and not much to show for it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.