Am I breaking my brakes?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GiantBeard, Nov 23, 2015.

1. GiantBeard

GiantBeard Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    I guess this is a double question here.

On y'alls advice, I started using bungee cord to set my trailer brakes without dumping my airbags.

I noticed that as I pulled the handle down, and secured the bungee, that it abruptly moved down another inch from what felt like the full application. Kind of like it was on a rocker, it just clicked down a little further.

I thought, "oh, maybe it locks on its own!" Which was not the case.

Am I damaging my trailer brakes by this action?

On a side note, am I damaging my jake brakes by switching between the three settings on a downgrade?

Thanks! Sarcasm, advice, absurdity, and outright ridicule are all fine responses. Just keep it related to truck topics.

truckon and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Your air bags should not deflate when the brakes are set. Also, I'm assuming your using the trolley brake handle? If so, your constantly applying air to the brakes instead of the spring inside the brake doing the job without air.

4. GiantBeard

GiantBeard Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    Yep.
    My air bags, on the trailer, automatically dump when I set the brakes from the red push knob.

It's great for our purposes on the farm, not so great at the loading docks I work with. They kept telling me that I couldn't be unloaded if I couldn't keep my trailer close and level to the dock.

They drive a small forklift into it, so I'm not just going to leave the brakes off.

Someone here suggested securing the trolley break handle with a bungee. As luck would have it, I finally realized why the old driver had a bungee on the catwalk.

truckon and Big Don Thank this.
  5. cdgoza

cdgoza Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2015
    I hardly ever set my trailer brakes unless parking for the day. Of course I pull a pneumatic tank so not sure how that would go with a forklift.

GiantBeard and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  6. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Why don't you set your tractor brake only?

Why are you switching between retarder levels? Set it and forget it till the bottom.

I redact the last statement for changing grades.

Unless your getting crazy and going 1-2-3-3-1-2-3-2-1-3-2. Then why?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    AModelCat and GiantBeard Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I'm glad you explained why you were doing that! It really had me wondering! I think I'd chock the wheels and just set the tractor brakes. Apparently the outfit you are at, can't afford a dock plate? Kind of seems mickey mouse to me.
    Also on the jakes, if you need them, use them. If not don't. I always have to SMH at the drivers who leave them on all the time. It is easier on equipment if you start out with as little jake as necessary and then go progressively up. At least that is what I was told. I'm no mechanic.

GiantBeard and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Take a close look at the RED knob on your dash. Does it mention anything on there about being a "brake". I know mine doesn't. Can't say I've seen one that does. The yellow "parking brake" should be plenty to keep your truck from moving. If not, you have bigger problems than the air bags dumping.

EDIT FOR THE NIT PICKERS: (So, a total idiot won't take my words above the wrong way and get themselves fired from a job that they shouldn't be doing anyway. After all, this post was about getting loaded at a dock. Not stopping on the shoulder on a 15% grade.)

If the dock you are at is on a steep hill (so the loaders can just let gravity take over and the pallets will just slide to the front of your trailer) you would probably want to pull both the yellow and red buttons on the dash. Then get as far away from your truck as possible and watch the festivities. Please take your phone so you can post on here asking what company will hire you after you get fired.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    GiantBeard Thanks this.
  9. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    I had a trailer like that and I ended up changing the trailer leveling valve to a type that wouldn't dump the air bags when I popped the trailer valve.

But, here is a trick I used to keep the trailer from walking away from the dock.
    Back up tight to the dock and set your trailer brakes. Wait a minute and you will feel the trailer move as the axles rotate. When the bags are empty, push in your emergency valve and quickly back up tight again and set your trailer brakes again.
    If you do that quick enough your air bags won't have time to fully inflate back up causing your axles to rotate again.
    It's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

Bob Dobalina and GiantBeard Thank this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Sounds like the wheel chock idea or the new leveling valve to me....

11. Eeyore05

Eeyore05 Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2015
    'Sconni
    A question for your question. Why are you setting the trailer brakes to load/unload? Just use the tractor and a wheel chock for safety
    If that doesn't work you need to be fixing your tractor brakes!

GiantBeard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.