Am I that BAD??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SOG, Oct 10, 2015.

1. SOG

SOG Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Louisiana
    Hey guys, just wanted to throw this out there and see what kind of response I got from some of the OTR guys. About 2 years ago I studied and got my CDL. No school, self taught. I then got a job with an oil filed company driving a long nose 379 pulling a 88,000 lb pump trailer all through OH, PA, WV, and even down into OK and TX from time to time. Otherwise I'd drive anywhere from 300-500 miles at a time to a location where I may sit for a couple of weeks to a month or so and finish up the job and then move on to the next location and stage up and do it all over again. Now that the oilfield has bottomed out, I've been looking for a driving job but it seems no one will touch me. Before this, I drove an old MACK hauling timber in the logging woods for an old man when I was in high school 25 years ago but never had a CDL. He'd just put me behind the wheel when he'd had a little to much to drink and tell me to get her to the lumber mill. I've had no accidents, or tickets. My record is totally clear. I've driven in some of the most sever conditions up through the mountains and even up the side of mountains on skidder trails without so much as even a scratch on the ol' girl. Am I that much of a risk? Is there any advice you guys can give me so I can feed my family? It seems because I haven't been to a traditional driving school it's hurt me. I've got a wife and 3 kids depending on me to get something started and thought my CDL would be the ticket......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Find a refresher school to appease those stupid companies. Then you should be good

4. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Where are you located now? Maybe I can help. If not me... then we could always page @Chinatown he's awesome at this.

5. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    you might try smaller outfits and see what they say. tho I was looking at a some wanted ads a few weeks ago and a company mentioned that they want driver's who have worked for 200 plus truck outfit. in the end it's the company small or large that says yay or nay.

as mentioned, a refresher course may help if said company will accept it.

6. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Marten will count oilfield driving as experience. It's not that you are bad, but rather you have no experience driving OTR. I know it doesn't seem like it should matter, but it does. Pulling a 44ft pumper in a convoy from location to location and a 53ft reefer by yourself across the country are completely different animals. You might be able to do it no problem, but both you and I have seen what kind of drivers are out there...especially in the oilfield. Can you really blame them for being hesitant??

SOG Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hopefully that won't cost him a fortune, but I have a feeling it will.

8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Not sure where you are located but check put FREYMILLER they offer a refreshing opportunity
    https://drive4freymiller.com/restore-program.php
    and you get paid and it is at least a place to start

" IT IS JUST A SUGGESTION " do not harp on me about it

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    SOG Thanks this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Hell you can drive circles around most truckers. Find a small outfit that knows what a good driver is.

Big Don and MJ1657 Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I find it kind of weird that otr is regarded higher than oilfield work. Around here it seems to be the opposite, with otr being seen as a starting point. From there you can get into the patch and logging.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, Freymiller might hire you.
    Schneider Bulk might also. With a wife and 3 children, you need to make some big paychecks and hazmat/tankers is the way to do that; lots of that work in LA.
    Groendyke Transport is another good tanker outfit.
    On applications state you drove for the oilfield hauling supplies throughout OH,WV,PA,TX,OK and don't mention you sat a lot between loads.
    Try all this and keep us posted.

SOG Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.