AM Radio Performance

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by STexan, May 24, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm in a 2015 Freightliner with stock AM/FM/XM radio. I find the AM radio to be almost nonexistent unless it's just a stronger power AM station and/or I'm relatively close.

Are many AM stations just not transmitting with any power anymore? Or is the AM antenna in the radio just piss-poor? I like to listen to Rush and I find if I'm more then 30 miles from many stations, I just can't bring it in.

I was wondering if anybody makes a "high-performance" portable AM radio with a great antenna that has audio out to input into my system, that might work (pick up) better then my stock radio.

I used to stream Rush but I'm having to be more conservative with my data usage due to other application development needs that I'm currently working on that tends to consume a lot of data.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Now with the engines we have with electronics out the wazoo, AM reception pretty much sucks all around. It really irks my nerves to hear engine noise through the radio. :mad:

I'd love if there were an easy fix for this.

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I have a terrible AM experience in my Volvo too... Go to scan the AM Band and it just bumps up one step at a time with nothing but static everywhere... Except, like your experience, you are much closer to the city than should be required.

5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    The AM circuitry is almost an afterthought, the engineers are focused on the user interface and the FM/XM circuitry. The antennas and coax (and mounts, connectors, diplexers, etc.) that OEMs are installing these trucks nowadays are just crap.

http://www.ccrane.com/AM-FM-Radios?by=Category
    http://www.ccrane.com/AM-Antennas?by=Category

Unfortunately, radio frequency interference (RFI) is a very noticeable problem when listening to the AM band. If you know a ham radio operator, ask them about a ferrite choke.

The following are notorious for causing RFI:
    power inverters
    fluorescent lighting
    LED lighting units on the truck and on LED traffic signals
    electric motors (like the windshield washer pump and the HVAC blower)
    fuel injectors

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    STexan Thanks this.
  6. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    You need a ground wire from the radio to the frame and a ground wire from the antenna mounting to the frame. Old solution to a constant problem for many years. Plastic trucks have poor grounds.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    You should be able to pick up WBAP at night from 100s of miles away.

Cascadias have the Worst cb antenna hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised if the am radio setup sucked too.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I think it's all in the antannaes. The dealer said the cb and radio and xm are one antannae.
    I can't pick up FM channels as far as my car does. Which is still nowhere near what my 97 used to do. And my cb barely works in my 16 cascadia. Same cb i had in the 12 cascadia with external cb antannaes. Worked like a champ in that truck.

Only time i get static is when my invertor is running. Walmart 160 watter off the `12v socket.

9. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016

10. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    All of thee above plus terrain and the weather.
    I have rush 's site on my phone , the station guide is a big help .

11. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    AM is a VERY strong signal but is heavily dependent on a proper antenna. The Japanese used an AM radio signal to guide them into Pearl Harbor.

Some of you may find this interesting.

Almost all of the outter islands all over the world are completely cut off from civilization but weather is a big factor to them and other important information. They use a setup where a small hand held AM radio like you had as a kid with a microphone in front of the speaker. That is tied into a simple device that reads the fax like signal and prints out on a thermal printer run off solar power. That's how they get their weather maps and other important info.

Airplanes also use AM radio stations to navigate called an ADF. Just dial in your favorite radio station until you hear it good then the needle points in the direction of the radio tower.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.