An Uphill Battle and a Bumpy Road

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Swiper, May 19, 2016.

1. Swiper

Swiper Bobtail Member

May 12, 2016
    Hi! I'm in the process of being medically retired from the military after 17 years of service. I have been deployed twice (Iraq and Afghanistan) and was doing pretty well until I developed an anxiety disorder about two years ago.

I was thinking about becoming a trucker, but it looks like I will both have an uphill battle and a bumpy road ahead of me to reach that goal. It might not even be obtainable ---no matter how much I try--- due to my medical conditions. I have not given up completely yet, so I will hang around this forum and try to suck up as much information as I can.

The obstacles that stands in my way:

- Asperger's Syndrome (high-functioning Autism)
    - Anxiety Disorder
    - Medications (Klonopin, Trazedone, Abilify, Lexipro)
    - Kyphosis & Scoliosis (excessive curvature of back)
    - Borderline high blood pressure
    - Sleep Apnea

I appreciate any advice ---good or bad--- that you can give me. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Not trying to be an ###, but if you have anxiety issues, this may not be the best career choice. Also, Klonopin will likely disqualify you as long as you are on it. There are charts that show how long you have to wait after taking certain meds before you can drive, basically to get them out of your system so if something happens you won't fail a drug test. Obviously, you wouldn't be feeling the Klonopin 2 days later, but it's probably on the 72 hour list.

Swiper and Dominick253 Thank this.
  4. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Swiper and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Swiper .... thank you for your Service. Sorry I don't have any answers to your post, but I'm kinda agreeing with the replies about the stresses on the road. (Not that you didn't have any in the military, though!)

@Chinatown can probably get you a list of the militaryfriendly companies shortly. Be safe.

Swiper Thanks this.
  6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Try USPS. They are the LARGEST employer of military vets.

I also have to agree about the driving issue, but as I mentioned, USPS is VERY PRO MILITARY. There are plenty of other positions availabe such as mailhandlers, clerks, maitenance, sorter, supervisior, etc. etc. Every position at USPS has the same pay scale levels, and all of them pay double time OT. The pay level isn't as high as a tractor trailer drivers make, but a lot of the other positions availabe has the POTENTIAL to make over 100k because of the double time paid for OT. Plus, you will be working for Uncle Sam again.

Swiper and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Ok, I'm gonna be "that guy" that questions 17 years of service, with Asbergers.....??? I thought that was non-waiverable?

8. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I have scoliosis, to the point they wouldn't let me join the military, never stopped me from doing anything else I wanted to in life. That won't affect trucking.

Swiper Thanks this.
  9. Swiper

Swiper Bobtail Member

May 12, 2016
    It's an invisible disability and not everyone are diagnosed with it prior to adulthood. Yes, it is a non-waiverable condition if there's an official diagnosis prior to joining the military. In my case, however, I wasn't diagnosed with it until two years ago. Long after my original enlistment date.

10. Swiper

Swiper Bobtail Member

May 12, 2016
    You're probably right. I get anxiety just from reading some of the stories on this forum.

Thank you. I was hoping that I would be able to deal with the stressors; but now I'm not so sure anymore. Seems like there's a lot of BS to be dealt with besides driving the truck from point A to point B.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. Swiper

Swiper Bobtail Member

May 12, 2016
    Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely look into it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.