Android Truck Navigation?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by feduptrucker, Jun 6, 2010.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    No offense, but I'm sure we'll be reading about you afterword.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Actually, I'm only planning to use the GPS so that I don't miss my exits. It won't replace trip planning via the RM Atlas. I wouldn't even trust the trucker versions of GPS units.

russellkanning and MNdriver Thank this.
  4. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    same boat you are in.

It's fine for the big road navigation from state to state, but I don't trust any GPS for truck navigation at the local level.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I put CoPilot truck on my android. I like some of the options for preferred roads, highway, two lane, and such. the phone has a good processor so it will calculate routes blazing fast.

I don't have dock to hold it somewhere and it's a bit buggy so I haven't really used it. It has potential I hope they work out the UI bugs.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    smart truck route requires a subscription service.

i use co pilot for trucks on my phone. i also have the pcmiler handheld unit which is also made by copilot. if i have doubts about my routing. i get online and use truckimiles.com websight to verify. so far they've both matched. i have yet to have a problem using gps. but, like any gps. there have been quirks as far as a certain street. ans sometimes i feel it can do a better job at routing once i'm arriving or leaving my destination. but overall, i've more happy then those other more expensive gps units.

rand being the worse experience.

7. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    careful with Google Navigation.....

Today my phone about got pitched out the window...

headed to Springfield MO from WI. Got to St Louis and I was telling it and it was finding the address for the Flyin' J in Sullivan MO.

But it kept routing me to the Flyin J in Warrentown MO. I was over the river on I270 when I got what was going on. When I told it to simply take me to Sullivan MO only, it found the correct route.

8. cmiller2289

cmiller2289 Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2011
    ft. worth tx
    i use truck tools or trucker tools. its android, has everything the rand mccnallys have. also does fuel optimization

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    is that app in english or spanish???

10. frago

frago Light Load Member

May 26, 2008
    NW Iowa
    Really looking for those which do not require a data connection. Anything that needs internet to do GPS is horrible and will let you down when you need it most. Regular GPS units do not require Data so when searching for GPS on your phone or tablet be sure to be specific in not using Data.

11. cowboy_tech

cowboy_tech Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Avondale, CO
    CoPilot stores the maps on the phone. No connection required.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.