Ann Arboour Mi, 1-94 - Load Thru Truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by GOV'T_Trucker, Oct 22, 2016.

1. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    I didn't see this posted unless I am missing something...

This happened Oct 18th... I first seen it on facebook and found the new feed online.. Canadian truck in Michigan had a load go thru the cab.. Lucky for the driver he survived.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2016/10/eastbound_i-94_closed_west_of.html

ANN ARBOR, MI - Eastbound I-94 is closed at Jackson Road in Ann Arbor after an accident involving a semi-truck.

The Michigan Department of Transportation reported the incident at 2:07 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 18 near Scio Church Road.

The semi was carrying a load of metal beams. The beams broke free and some went through the cab and front windshield, just missing the driver, said Michigan State Police Sgt. Jeffery Munoz.

No one was injured, he said.

The semi-truck truck and debris are blocking both lanes of I-94, and crews are working to clear the expressway.

Traffic is getting around on the shoulder.

The Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office advises drivers to avoid I-94 between Jackson and Ann Arbor-Saline roads.

HalpinUout and tucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Thanks. Just one picture was posted in another thread but not the story.
    What a mess

4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    And that's what happens when you don't have a header.:eek:

Big Don Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Headache rack wouldn't have done a #### thing to stop that.

That is what happens when 1) your load isn't properly secured and 2) you weren't paying attention to what was developing ahead of you and had to get on the brakes too hard.

Had the load been secured, it wouldn't have moved, even with hard braking. If he'd been paying attention and been able to stop gradually, the load may have still moved if not properly secured...just not with as much force. It sent beams THROUGH the cab, out onto the pavement ahead of him. An extra 1/4" sheet of aluminum wouldn't have done a #### thing.

Lepton1, KillingTime, 25(2)+2 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Anytime you have Beams-Tubing or That not too popular fabricated metal (You know the cr@p not too many guys want stacked on wood and cannot use chains cause of paint).....You Gotta drive like its not secured...... Always paying attention in front of you.....

Too many Drivers Forget what they have behind them..Get Lazy then Thru the Sleeper come the beams

Yeah I Know I know...Its extra work to focus harder....CHARGE MORE THEN!!!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Just wondering if a thin layer of rubber across the wood could have helped? Granted it looks like the lost the top layer that didnt have wood on it or anything that would push on the middle of the pile. Other than the side squish.
    [​IMG]

8. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    All a header would of done is make more debri to pick up.

9. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    ####...that happened to me, I'd quit driving.

stayinback Thanks this.
  10. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Meh, those aren't "beams" that went through his cab. It some kind of folded sheet metal looks like. Doubt it's all that heavy, at least compared to those actual I beams he's hauling. Most likely it was sitting loose at the top of the load in between beams and didn't have enough (or any) securement touching it. A headache rack MIGHT have helped, but for sure better securement would have.

Lepton1 and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.