ANOTHER GIANT CARRIER QUESTION?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GCDMN., Feb 11, 2016.

1. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Start off im moving down the road with one of the giants. Have oriontation scheduled and very nervously given notification to my current job. Wont list the company bye name but their trucks are mostly white and they are best known for ther Intermodal division i believe. What im being told sounds good. 40 cents per mile, 2400 miles per week average, 22 dollars per stop, 11 stops per week average. Electric pallet jack unload and no breaking down of the pallets. Its a dedicated regional account. Home 2 nights for the 10 hour per week and home for 34 hr reset on weekend. Add said 65K but all that adds up to 62.5 that if true still sounds good.
    Isnt that pretty good for a regional job? Like so good that how does a new to the company driver really get these? Is this the bait add then after oriontation i get informed that the dedicated position is now full, would you like to do OTR till something opens up? Ive read that OTR is not this companies strongsuite to put it midly. Shouldnt there be a line of guys previously told that waiting for these jobs to open so again back to a new to the company driver getting what sounds like a pretty prime job?
    Im not a brand new driver but only have 13 months experience. Even though ive notified my current employer im pretty sure i could return but i think im better off getting away if i can.
    Also i have not only been talking with the recruiter but been talking with the safety department because of something on my PSP. Told them there was no way i could give my two week until my psp was verified and they did it and im being told it shouldnt be a issue. Im still nervous of being pulled out of oriontation for it because of other horror stories ive read on here.
    I know there is thousands others who have walked this exact path so any help is appreciated. Thanks

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    We can't answer that question if you don't say what carrier it is. What's the big deal that you want to keep it a secret. ........like we don't know.....:lurk:

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Best get that deal in writing!!!
    And before orientation... lol

Good Luck,
    MD

ttyson Thanks this.
  5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I was in a somewhat similar situation when I started with my current company. You are thinking, sounds too good to be true, right? Speaking from experience, I can say that if they are offering you this position, when there are likely a number of higher seniority drivers who should be qualified for it, then it could mean one of two things. They are either b.s.-ing you, or they really like you and feel you are more qualified than the rest of the guys. You have a good amount of experience, enough to show that you know what you are doing, yet you are new enough that you likely still have a good clean record and a good attitude. So chances are pretty good that they just really like you. Best thing you can do is get everything they say in writing. Talk to some of their drivers to see what they have to say, and check their CSA score. A good or bad CSA score says a lot about a company's honesty and integrity. It's always a tough choice starting with any company. Good luck!

6. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Couple letters then rhymes with runt. How many companies actually will put it in writing?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  7. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    He's talking about jb ####. You could in theory make 60k doing dcs but know that whoever they underbid, you're ripping yourself off because it's originally a 70k job

8. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    JB punt? JB grunt? JB {best not type that one}

If they are willing to actually put you in that position why wouldn't they put it in writing...

They put pre hire letters in writing...
    Same thing... Just more specific...

And whether they just like you better than everyone else or if they are just blowing smoke up your skirt... Their response will be telling.

From "verbal miscommunications" to "written commitment" ... Identify which it is.

9. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Any job I have had I received a commitment from the next employer before I gave two weeks notice to my former employer.

College Students get an Acceptance Letter prior to signing a lease on an apartment.

College Atheletes get a Commitment Letter prior to deciding which college program to attend.

We at times have to sign an estimate, or at least they have it in writing, prior to any services being completed.

Heck, even McDonalds get their money before they drop the next batch of fries. (Ok, maybe not)

What in the world makes trucking and truckers any different???

They count on drivers not having a formal written commitment from the company so that they can play fast and loose with YOUR LIFE!

I am very content with where I am... If someone wants to give me a "better job" you can bet dollars to doughnuts I expect it in writing prior to leaving my current employer.

I have more to say but that would be placing the blame on other drivers for putting themselves in such a situation and that is not the direction I wish to go.

Stay Safe,
    MD

10. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    You are so right! But you also have to look at supply and demand (drivers that is). My current DCS gig was the same way. I was still in orientation when I found out that I received a .02 cpm before I even pulled a load. They are slow to warm up to the idea of spending money on drivers but they will eventually.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.