Antifreeze half life

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by str8t10, May 30, 2016.

1. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    I know antifreeze can and will lose its cooling properties. Therefore reducing it's effectiveness. But how how long does that take and how would you know aside from the truck overheating. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    It doesn't lose the cooling properties it loses it's lubrication abilities. That is why you lose water pumps when using straight water. Just like people thinking oil breaks down. It does not, it gets dirty and the additives are what break down.

As for the time frame, just change it at recommended intervals. Personally for me it is once a year. For my boss it is when you lose a hose and dump all the coolant.

Over time antifreeze becomes acidic and combine that with at least 2 different metals in the cooling system you now have basically battery acid.

str8t10 Thanks this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    If you use red, which is what you should be using you should be good, with green you need to add SCA's

Mobil Delvac Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze is formulated with organic corrosion inhibitors to provide total cooling system protection for 1,000,000 miles of on-road use (8 years or 20,000 hours of off-highway use). Since the organic corrosion inhibitors do not readily deplete, Mobil Delvac Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze eliminates the need for Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCAs) as required when using conventional coolants.

str8t10 Thanks this.
  5. str8t10

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    Thanks for the replies. My avatar is my company ride. It's a 10 spd with a c13. We put a new radiator in about 3 months ago and our mechanic put all the old coolant in. I was told told antifreeze loses it cooling properties so thanks for clearing that up for me @cnsper.

6. str8t10

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    @Old Man
    The company I drive for is a small outfit. About 15 trucks. All Petes with cat engines. I drive the runt of the fleet. Anyhow my boss will not budge from his theory and decision that green is better than red. We only have one tractor that takes red. If you know, and have the time could you explain the difference between the 2 and the pros and cons if it's not too much trouble. Thanks

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    There's test strips you can buy to test the coolant.

I ditched the green and went with Peak Final, red stuff - lasts half a million miles or so and handles up to 20% contamination if you have to add water or other products in a pinch.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    In a pinch used coolant is ok to reuse but with a new radiator the mfg usually wants you to flush the system and use new coolant for warranty purposes.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  9. str8t10

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    Well that was definitely a bone headed move on our mechanics part. We always have a 50 gallon drum of all liquids and lubricants in the shop with several more of each 50 ft away in a storage trailer.

10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Anti-freeze / coolant used in most on-road engines is made from two basic materials. Glycol and Water. This basic mix really does not "wear out". What does " wear out" are the additives used to prevent corrosion and scale.

The additives don't really wear out, they are consumed as they do their job.

The additvies can be replaced or "extended" by adding them to the system. Some systems have a filter unit that has a block of these built into them. Another method for replenishing the additive package is liquid product marked as SCA coolant extender.

Most engine coolants manufactured today should last up to 500K miles or 5 to 6 years. this is based on the system never being opened and the labratory world, not real life.

Basically, your coolant should last quite awhile. The best thing to do is test the coolant on a regular basis. Test strips and kits are cheap. Testing everytime you do PM is a good idea. the strips will give a general overall condition, the advanced kits can go as far as measuring glycol to water ratios and more.

Big Don and str8t10 Thank this.
  11. str8t10

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    I think we have the test strips in our shop. I'll have to find them and test tomorrow before I roll out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.