Antifreezing dump bed

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Kw900a, Jan 18, 2015.

1. korky

korky Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2013
    AZ
    When I ran rock & dirt in Chicago years ago, we couldn't use any kind of fuel, oil, antifreeze etc. because (1)you can smell it and the contractors didn't like, (2)when you brought dirt into the pit they had a guy with an electronic sniffer on a stick and he would poke the load in a few spots as well as use his own nose. Many loads were rejected.

I did the same as poppapump1332 with the scoop or so of calcium/magnesium chloride per gallon (ice melt from Home Depot) but I had one of those steel bottles that they put the syrup for soda pop into. I put a pressure regulator on it, connected it to the truck air, mounted it to the truck and had a very long 1/4 or 3/8 hose on a small reel. It was pressurized all the time, no more need to pump a small sprayer bottle. I had to spray multiple times a day so the dirt wouldn't freeze since I had a steel uninsulated box with no liner.

poppapump1332 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    a liner if your dump is aluminum.

Mattnatti Thanks this.
  4. Mattnatti

Mattnatti Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A well sprayed liner and the loads slip out like budda!

2big Thanks this.
  5. sparky88

sparky88 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    oswego, ny
    So far depending on what I've hauled it's either been plastic or tv antifreeze. Tv antifreeze at Walmart is the cheaper option. A sprayer and a gallon and a half of the antifreeze. Loads slide right out. Just spray up the sides and front as well as bottom. But our dispatch usually tells us what the customer will accept. I mostly haul scrap aluminum steel and glass.

6. 2big

2big Bobtail Member

May 11, 2013
    When I was hauling coal I've used a few different things. The first was a home brew mix of antifreeze and windshield washer fluid, the other was premixed made just for spraying the beds both worked equally well I wish I could remember the name of the premix stuff. For a while when we were out of either we just used plenty of salt around the hoistbox and the rest of the bed too and didn't have any problems.

7. sparky88

sparky88 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    oswego, ny
    I like the antifreeze and washer fluid idea!! Would make it a little cheaper. I've been using prestone rv antifreeze. I could save a buck on the cheap Walmart stuff but not sure how good it is

8. BullJockey

BullJockey Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Crystal River, Fl
    As mentioned above, diesel in a sprayer all around the nose area and itll help her slide on out!!

9. sshewins

sshewins Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    One winter I hauled glycerin to the coal mines in WV and KY. One of the mine workers was telling me about how they did what they did. They added 1qt of glycerin per ton of coal to keep it from freezing to itself. And when the rail car was slowly pulled forward during the loading process, just before the overhead was a 3 head sprayer, spraying the entire time the train moved forward. Even the couplers.

Find yourself a place that processes used cooking oil for biodiesel and get some glycerin. Not many places want that stuff, so I'm sure that they would be glad to give it to you just to get rid of it.

10. RetiredUSN

RetiredUSN Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I have been using dish soap lately. Done about 25 loads with minimal problems.

11. rc77

rc77 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2009
    North Billerica, Ma
    Last company I worked for we used liquid calcium or magnesium or chloride depending on which one the sanders were full of. Company I work for now he buys peanut oil. Peanut oil makes a mess and can stain the aluminum if you spill any but its environmentally friendly

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.